The Headstone of Leslie Ann Michaels

Leslie Ann Michaels

Your life was important.

2000-2015

Denial

That's what it says – all that it says – the 630 pounds of laser-etched marble in the bed of Tommy's truck.

I'd agreed to travel across most of the country with him to pick it up. As it turns out, driving a headstone is actually cheaper than shipping it, at least at the distances we're talking about. Don't ask me how.

Also, don't ask why Tommy insisted on getting a stone made from some place out in Nowhere, Arizona.

"It's worth it." He told me, and hadn't said a word about it since.

The thing must have cost him six grand, money I know he doesn't have.

"Tommy, why are we doing this?"

"Huh? Doing what Bill?"

"This...This craziness Tommy! This driving. It's not healthy. You could have gotten a stone made just about anywhere. It's all the same man, it's not like Leslie's gonna notice the difference."

"Sure she will, why wouldn't she?"

"Please don't keep doing this Tommy. How long have we been friends?"

"How long have I been alive?"

"Exactly. I care about you man. I know we haven't talked enough – me with the kids and you with...Leslie. It's just that..."

"Just what Bill? Spit it out..."

"It's just that...she's dead man, and you don't need to be driving across the entire damn world picking up something you can't afford and she don't need."

"I think you should mind your own business Bill, how would you know what Leslie needs?"

"I know because she's dead, and the dead don't need for anything except our prayers. She's dead Tommy, whether you want to admit or not."

"Whatever you say Bill. Don't you think you should be focused on the driving, still have a lot of road to cover..."

Anger

I was surprised when I heard from Tommy last week, a day after Leslie died.

We've known each other since we were crawling around his Ma's backyard. Our families were always close, and Tommy was always a loner, so we grew up together, raised Hell together, I was the only one he ever seemed able to open up too.