A Failure to be True

The liquid tastes of bitter almonds and feels like razor blades running down the inside of my throat.

They told me that it would "burn a little," which wasn't a Lie exactly, if you were to compare it against, say, covering yourself in gasoline and lighting a match.

Still, as I step onto the platform, look out over the Screens and the crowds – see their smiles, their honest, open faces – I know it will all be worth it.

I've wanted to be a politician for pretty much my entire life, since the first time I saw Councilman Richardson on Screen. Back then, I just thought it would be cool, the idea of millions of people hanging on my every word.

Then, I learned about the Truth, became obsessed with it, and knew that politics was the only career that would make me happy, and that a seat on the Council was the position I was born for.

Now I'm here, and all that stands between me and my dream, is the Truth that I have betrayed.

"Mr. Barns, I'm so happy to have you here tonight. You should know, I've been following your career for quite some time, no one deserves this more than you."

Councilman Richardson is a few decades older than when I saw him as a child, but his grip is firm, and in his eyes, you can still see that avian sharpness. He is the sort of man you would walk into Hell for, and thank him for the privilege.

"The pleasure is mine Councilman. I just hope that I can live up to your exacting standards."

For just an instant, his gaze darken, "Remember Mr. Barns, they are not 'my standards,' they are our standards – the standards of the Council. You will either live up to them tonight, or you will not make it off of this stage. "

He releases my hand, moving towards his position on the other side of the platform. I follow, trying to keep my breathing under control. As I take my place at the podium, a voice fills the hall –

"Welcome everyone and please quiet down. Tonight we have the honor of Vetting one Harvey Barns. He has spent the last nine years in the Public Service, and this evening he hopes to take his place on the Council of Eight, becoming a True representative of the people. Like each of the members before him, he has come to submit himself to you – to earn your trust – by laying himself bare at your feet."

All of the eyes in the room are on me, and I know that there are a million more watching on Screens. Every minute of my life for the last two decades has been in preparation for this moment, yet I have never felt so alone.

"We ask three questions, they will be read by retiring Councilman Elijah Richardson. Our medical staff has also administered Mr. Barns' Regimen, which he has taken. If by the end of the questions, Mr. Barns has spoken True, he will take Councilman Richardson's place among the Eight. If, however, he is found to be False by you or our research team – the drugs in his blood will kill him where he stands, as a lesson to any who would abuse their power. Do you find this acceptable?"

The audience cheers.

I see a child, no more than twelve years old, sitting in the third row next to her beaming parents. I remember when I was her age, sitting in the same spot for my first Vetting. For the life of me, I can't remember who was on the stage, but I do remember that terrified, hunted look in his eyes when he failed.