Chapter Nineteen

Michael

I had to see her. 

She wasn't answering my calls, texts, voicemails, emails, or IM's. I tried everything, apologizing, telling her what happened, having other people call and talk to her, but it didn't work. Nothing did.

I know I broke her heart, just tore it up into little, tiny pieces, but all I wanted to do now was to glue it back together, like a puzzle. It just would have one piece missing though; me.

No matter how hard I would try to squeeze that puzzle piece in, try to shove it right back into place, it would not fit as perfectly as before. 

That was all my fault.

I knocked on her big front door, gazing up at the sky. It was a beautiful light blue, with soft, lazy clouds moving around slowly.

The door slowly opened, with Bethany standing in the doorway. Her arms were crossed over her chest, leaning over on her right leg. Her hair was in a messy bun, makeup from yesterday smudged all underneath her eyes. She still wore the same short black dress from yesterday, now all crinkled and ruined.

"What do you want?" She hissed, giving me an evil glare.

"Look Bethany," I said, "I really need to talk to Emme, please."

"There's no fricking way you're coming through this door, ever again."

I sighed, running my hand through my messy brown hair. I was slightly hung over from having one too many beers when I got home. My mom was out of town on the weekend for business, and that meant I had the whole house to myself. I was hoping of spending it with Emme, but I just ended up being alone in my house, depressed with a bottle of beer in hand.

I was never much of a drinker, but right now, alcohol seemed like the only thing that could sober up my aching heart for a little bit and clean out all the dirtiness I felt. Matt was at a friends house last night, so he couldn't see. I made sure I dumped all the bottles this morning, hiding any evidence from my mom.

"PLEASE," I begged, shaking my head slightly up at her, "You don't know how terrible I feel with out her."

"Well congratulations, ass hole," She said in a bitchy tone, almost slamming the front door. She stopped quickly though before it shut all the way, popping her head through the opening.

"Oh, if you think you feel terrible, imagine how Emme feels. Just for the record, she cried herself to sleep last night." 

With that, she quickly slammed the door shut in my face. I stood there, stunned.

My Emme, my baby, had cried herself to sleep. All because of me.

Wasn't I the one who couldn't sleep when he first met her?

Wasn't I the one who went giddy when she talked to me?

Wasn't I the one who felt the sparks when I kissed her for the first time?

Wasn't I the one who went out of his way to ask her out in the best way possible?

Wasn't I the one who said I would never hurt her like Jeff did?

Wasn't I the one who made a promise to myself to save her from all the heartbreak in the world?

Wasn't I the one who said I love her?

Wasn't I the one who smiled when she said she did too?

...Wasn't I the one who ruined the one and only thing important to him?