Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Emme

"How come your father got to see him and I didn't?" My mother whined as I ran around the kitchen, scrambling to get breakfast.

"Huh?" I replied, while rummaging through the cupboards."Oh Michael, yeah well I came home last night and Dad was mad, do he apologized."

"I swear your father can be such a pain at times," she said, flipping through a magazine as she leaned against the wall across from me. "It's like he never was a teenager, which by the way, he was."

I smiled as I took a bite of a granola bar. Normally, you would never expect your mom to say that, but for me, it was normal. My mom was fun loving, while my dad was just, well...my dad. It had always been that way, well, for at least as long as I can remember. That's probably what happens when you enter law enforcement though, since the hours are long and never-ending.

Right then, the doorbell rang.

"I didn't know Savannah and Claire were driving you to school."

"They aren't."

"Hmm, Well then, it must be for me." She slowly put her magazine down on the counter and walked towards the door. Who could be coming over at 6:45 in the morning?

"Hello Mrs. Carter, I'm Michael. Is Emme still here, by chance?" I heard Michaels sweet voice say.

"Why, yes! You must be the famous Michael I've been hearing about. I've been waiting forever to meet you!" My mom squeaked. I quickly scurried over towards the door,  quickly going over towards Michael.

"Hey! " I said happily.

"Hey," he replied, leaning down to give me a kiss on the cheek, not even hesitating in front of my mom. "I didn't know if you had a ride to school, so I thought I would stop by to see if you wanted one."

"Sure, Thanks." I said, grabbing his hand and leading him inside. "I just need to grab my bag from upstairs and I'll be ready."

He gazed around my small living room, looking at all the family portraits. I smiled, remembering this was his first time being in my house. 

"I'll be right back," I said to no one in particular, running up the stairs and into my bedroom.

I grabbed my backpack off my floor, but quickly checked myself in my mirror before leaving the room. My hair was pin straight, reaching down bellow my ribs, and parted sideways. My eye shadow was a creamy golden-brown, with dark brown eyeliner on my upper and lower lids. I had mascara on, making my eyelashes look long and my skin was some how flawless. I was wearing a pair of dark wash skinny jeans, and a blue and white striped Abercrombie tank with buttons going down, all finished off with a pair of white gladiators.

I made my way down the stairs and towards Michael, who was being shown pictures in frames by my mom.

"...And this is her when she was three years old. Isn't she just precious!" I heard my mom saying, holding up a picture of me when I was younger, my hair in pigtails and wearing a pink flowered dress. I was smiling at the camera, showing my little small teeth.

"Aw," Michael cooed. I slowly walked over, grabbing his hand. He looked down at me and smiled, showing his dimple.

"I'm ready." I said, slinging my abercrombie flannel backpack over my shoulder. 

"Oh Emme," My mom said, "I invited Michael over for dinner tonight. That is okay with you, right?"

"Of course!" I said, looking up at him. Just the thought of spending even more time with him made me want to fly.