Chapter 9

N'lah⬆️⬆️

***Justice***

I had finally forgave Kareem for that hoe trying to fight me. It's almost Christmas break and we have gotten somewhat close. We went out a couple of times after he repeatedly asked, but it was nothing serious, it was like a friend date thing. He hasn't met mom though, I don't think he is going to be around long enough to be meeting my whole family. We're just friends and it's going to stay that way. He hasn't even tried to kiss me after the last time. As long as things stay like this then everything will be fine.

Kareem wanted to make plans for Christmas break but I'm going to New York to visit my dad. I love going to New York around Christmas time, it's so different from California. It isn't as cold down here and doesn't snow so it doesn't really feel like Christmas to me. But in New York, with the coldness and the snow everything just seems right. One time the snow was so bad that they canceled all the flights. I got an extra two weeks out of school.

Another perk of Christmas in New York is my daddy. I love this man to death. And when it comes to Christmas he does not hesitate to spend money. It's like my Christmas gets bigger and bigger every year along with the money I get on the side. He still wraps my gifts up under a Christmas Tree like I'm a kid but I love it. He never gets an artificial tree, he knows that I hate them. He lives alone and has no other kids that I know of, so whenever I come over it's just him and me. My mom always gets on him about spoiling me the way that he does but it seems as though it goes in one ear and out of the other.

"Okay! So pick a partner and you guys figure which book you're going to choose." Mr. smith says after explaining our project to us. It's due in February and a partner is mandatory. "You have to let me know who your partner is and your book by the end of the class period. Get to work." He sits at his desk to finish grading papers or whatever it is that teachers do. Today is Friday and I'm so glad because Christmas break starts Monday. I will be on a plane to New York by Sunday  night.

"So, we're partners right?" Kareem asks turning around. I look around the room and down at my phone, my fingers moving the speed of light, too distracted to pay Kareem any attention. I am trying to get in touch with N'lah, I haven't heard from her all weekend and she's not in class. I'm starting to get worried.

"Have you seen N'lah?" I ask looking up at Kareem.

"No, why?"

"I just haven't heard from her in a while." I know I don't talk about N'lah for real, but her family is crazy. She go through a lot of shit even though it may not seem like it. Sometimes things get so bad that they wont take her to school. She says that as soon as she turns 18 that she is going to get her own apartment. She has been saving up for this for a long time and I'll even pitch in if I have to.

I spent the rest of the period trying to get in touch with N'lah. She was going to be my partner but I guess I'm stuck with Kareem. Kareem ended up writing our name down on a piece of paper and he chose the book. Why in the hell did I let this boy choose the book?

Kareem holds my things and walks me to my locker like he always does. It's a constant cycle. I was quieter than normal, usually I'd be talking his ear off about something that happened. He is really starting to feel like that boy best friend that every girl wants.

"What's wrong? Why are you so quiet?" Kareem bumps me a little.

"Nothing." I'm still worried about N'lah and I just hope that nothing has happened to her. And I want to tell Kareem, I just don't know how to explain it without telling her business. Don't nobody want everybody in they business.

"You know you can tell me." He says.

"It's not my business to tell though." I put my things in my locker and close it.