Chapter 12

It's Christmas morning and I am so tired. I was at a Christmas Eve party with Maliah last night. I made it home no later than two in the morning. I still have my make up on from last night. I wake up around nine this morning I would have woke up later but the excitement of Christmas morning was gnawing away at me and the smell of breakfast made my stomach growl.

After I wash my face and brush my teeth I make my way in the kitchen as my dad is finishing up cooking. I see omelettes, Belgian waffles, breakfast casserole, and cheese grits when I walk in the kitchen. He sets it all on the table with apple, orange, and cranberry juice in the middle of the table.

"Good morning." I say hugging him.

"Good morning baby girl. How did you sleep?"

"Good." I say smiling as my stomach growls. He looks down at my stomach and laughs.

"I'm surprised you're up this early, considering you came home so late."

"I'm sorry dad."

"It's okay, just be careful. I don't wanna have to kill nobody but you know I will. Now sit down and eat so you can open your presents.

When I'm done eating I am so stuffed I wish I never ate. But that is not stopping me from getting under that tree. As I sit down next to the tree and my dad on the couch I breathe in the smell of pine. I open up all my presents as my dad takes pictures of me as I open each one. I hand him his presents and I make videos and pictures of us both. I am 100% satisfied with all of presents and my big stack of money. My dad demands that each time he gives me a large amount of money that some of it should be put in a savings account for college.

There are still other presents under the tree that we are going to take to my grandparents house later on tonight for dinner. There is no doubt that there will be more presents for me over there. I can't lie, I'm spoiled but I'm very appreciative.

After I call my mom, Nikki, and Maliah I face time Kareem.

"Merry Christmas." He says as soon as the phones connect.

"Merry Christmas." I say smiling. "Somebody is happy I see."

"Yea, I'm tired and full."

"I can tell. I see it in your face. I miss you." He says. I look away from the camera. "Come on ma, you can't say it back?"

"I miss you too." I manage to say. It's not that I don't miss him I just don't wanna get sucked in.

"You good. I know you don't mean it." "I mean it Kareem, it's just... you know."

"Yea, I know. You ain't met nobody while you been there have it?" "Now you know me better than that." I say laughing at him.

He laughs. "You never know, people may surprise you." He says looking at me. It feels like he is looking right into my eyes and I can stop staring at his. I lick my lips and bite my lip.

"Mmm... I got you a little something for Christmas."

"Aww Kareem you didn't have to get me anything. I feel bad now because I didn't get you anything."

"You ain't have to get me nothing I got it for you cause I wanted to and it's just a lil some I picked up while I was out. But you can't get it or see it until you come back."

"Thank you." I say.

"No problem ma. I've been thinking, and I know how you feel about this situation but I just really like you and I have these really strong-"