11: Have You Seen This Girl?

Link and Jonny had stopped at a house before going to the bus station. It had been an old friend of Jonny's, back from when he was traveling a few years ago. The man had purple eyes aswell. He was tall and thin, wearing a white dress shirt that made his brown skin look nearly as black as coal. He gave them fake ID's and cop badges.

If they were going to act like cops, they needed proof.

After saying their goodbyes to the man(Link was never told his real name, though Jonny called him BB or Baby or something along those lines) they drove down a long road to the bus station.

The walked in, Jonny looking like he owns the place and Link looking awkward and nervous. Jonny nudges his side, the he gave him said 'Man up, Link'.

They got to the counter seeing the lady behind the desk who really needed to get her eyebrows done. She looked mean and like the school librarian, Mrs. Nammie. They could be related, probably are. In a town like this, everyone knew everyone and Link just hadn't been there long enough to learn.

"Excuse ma'am," Jonny started, "have you seen this girl?"

———

Mikayla had walked down the road a little ways until she found a motel. She went up to the front desk, seeing nobody there and ringing the bell. Except the bell didn't work.

So she yelled, "Hey, anyone there?"

Nobody responded so she tried yelling again. After more silence, she said fuck it and went behind the desk, checking herself in. She signed herself in on the little book on the counter and grabbed a key, walking to her room. She didn't leave money because she wasn't sure if anyone actually worked there.

She opened the door, taking a step into room 4 and taking in the stale air of the small, dirty room. She coughed when she threw her bag down on the bed, dust flying up into her face and eyes.

The smell reminded her of her house.

She kept walking, taking in what litter there was to take in: the dingy and stained walls, the cockroach on the floor, the lightbulbless lamp in the corner. She goes into the bathroom, seeing more stained walls, a once white shower curtain(it was now yellow), and more bugs. The water coming from the sink was yellow and the shower head was broken, lying in the middle of the ringed bathtub.

She wasn't surprised by any of this. She would have been surprised if it was actually clean. She killed the bugs, ran the sink until the water ran clear, and didn't bother turning on the dusty TV, know that it wouldn't work. She grabbed some clothes to sleep in, a baggy T-shirt and some swear pants, and went to go change.

———

"I see a lot of people," the bitchy lady at the bus station says back to Jonny. She is just being stubborn and rude because she thinks that teenagers we all horrible, rude, disrespectful nuisances to humanity.

"Yes, I'm sure you do, ma'am, but did you see her?" Jonny says, looking up at the woman through his long eyelashes. Jonny flashed his badge at her. Her name tag reads 'Gwendolyn'. Link hated that name.

She blushes and says, "No, um, This is my first shift this  week and it started about 20 minutes ago. When was she last seen?"

"How do you know she's missing?" Link questions with a raised eyebrow.

"I just kind of assumed... The police only ever ask that when someone is missing." She answers somewhat quietly.

The both nod in understanding. Jonny says, "She was last seen Two days ago, we believe she was here based on evidence found in her room."

Wow, he's a good cop... Link thinks to himself.

"Let me go see who was here that day," she says and rushes off behind the window.

"Really," Link says when she's gone, "You're really going to flirt with her? Really?"

"Whatever gets the job done, Child." He replies. Link punches him for calling him 'child' and Jonny shakes it off because it didn't hurt and he knows it will annoy Link.

Gwendolyn comes back with a paper,  a list of people who were working they day and all their numbers. They said thank you and got out of that place a quickly as possible, Gwendolyn's eyes following their asses all the way out the door. It made Link feel uncomfortable.

They got right on calling everyone on the list, telling them to come to the bus station ASAP and they were all very cooperative.

———

About 5 hours later it was 3:18 and they had finally finished questioning. They found the girl that had sold Mikayla her ticket before she had gotten on the bus. She was a short, skinny girl, no more than 16 years old, and had bright green hair. She had a slightly upturned nose and was wearing a blue T-shirt and jeans. She said that Mikayla bought a ticket for North Carolina.

So to North Carolina they went.