3. IN LOVING MEMORY

dark times - the weeknd feat. ed sheeran

CHAPTER THREE:

↳ IN LOVING MEMORY

     IT WAS THE DAY OF IAN'S FUNERAL. Grace stared at herself in the mirror, tilting her head sideways to assess what she would wear today. The blonde girl had a long sleeved black dress with a lacy headband that fell onto her face. 

Hanna popped her head into the doorway of Grace's old bedroom, "hey, is it alright if we match?" She asked her older sister nervously, holding up a headband similar to hers.

Grace smiled warmly at her younger sister, "of course Han. Come here," She beckoned Hanna over to her. She complied and Grace took the headband from her and put it on her. She tilted her head sideways to assess her sister. "Beautiful, wear those diamond earrings Nan got you." Grace instructed her and she smiled at her, running off to her own room.

Grace sighed, moving away from the mirror, grasping the phone in her hand. It had been a few days since she had met with Jason. Everything was perfect between them, but not perfect

The two had mended what was left of them, however, what was to come was going to dampen their renewed relationship. Jason and Grace had been constantly texting one another, and today, Grace frowned at the text she got from Jason. She immediately pressed her number one speed dial, waiting for him to pick up.

"Grace," Jason sighed. She held the phone up to my her tightly. 

"You have to go." Grace told him, stubbornly. "You can't make me go alone, Jason."

"I've already made up my mind, I–I can't see his face in that coffin knowing that–"

"He's dead, Jason." Grace told him softly. "He's the one who's to blame, not you. Stop living a life full of regret. Come, stay a ways away, just watch, make peace with what you know."

"Okay, darling. Just because I love you, I'll go." 

º   º   º

     THE FUNERAL WAS BEAUTIFUL. Grace watched her sister and her three friends grab dirt from the bag the priest held, throwing it on top of the lowered casket. 

The blonde wiped the tears that fell from her eyes, steeling her heart up against the sadness that would never end. 

The priest ended the service and Grace immediately found herself in front of Melissa. She bit her lip, holding back the wave of tears that threatened to spill as she hugged her.

"God, Grace Martin." Melissa sighed, pulling away to look at the other young woman fully. "It's been years since I last saw you."