11. AWKWARD DINNER

(    word count:   1,874 words    )

CHAPTER ELEVEN:

AWKWARD DINNER

     GRACE MARIN WALKED INTO the kitchen to see her mother with Ella Montgomery. She was startled to see Ella so soon but she sent a sweet smile to the other woman in greeting.

"Join us?" Ashley motioned for the older daughter to join their conversation as they lounged with drinks in hand. Grace nodded and complied with her moms request. 

"Did Hanna say anything about what happened at the fashion show?" Ella asked the Marin woman who sat beside her. 

"I didn't press her on it." Ashley sighed as she held her cup close to her chest, glancing up at her friend.

"What do you think that was?"

"Well, you know about mean girls." Grace listened to what the two older woman were saying and what her mom said next made her speak up. "They had them when we were in school."

Grace scoffed shaking her head, "mom, everyone had mean girls in high school. Hanna even is one sometimes."

"Not like this, we didn't."

"No, not like this." Ella agreed with Ashley. This was different from when they were in high school that's for sure.

"And I don't think this just started. I think it's been going on for a while, and we're just now noticing it." Ashley said in a hushed voice, as if someone could hear her. Grace didn't like where this was going. Were Ella and Ashley that bored to gossip about their daughters? Or was this legitimate. 

"I think you're right."

"You do?"

"Alison, Hanna being hit by that car Ian in the bell tower, everything else. It's easy to get paranoid start seeing connections where there aren't any connections."

Grace began to think the two crazy ladies were correct. Especially since it all involved her sister and Grace's friend group. 

"I knew if I didn't speak to another parent - my head was going to explode." 

"Who else have you talked to?"

"Well, Emily's mom is in Texas and I didn't really wanna do this over the phone."

"Hastings?  Hey, I'll tell you one thing. I think we rolled over way too quickly on that therapist deal. Separating the girls? I am not gonna do that again."

"It seemed to make sense at the time."

"That wasn't about helping anyone.That was about Peter Hastings. He never met a problem he couldn't buy off one way or the other."

The conversation began to change subject and Grace took it as a sign to leave. She stood up, smoothing her clothes and smiled at the concerned mothers. "I best be off, meeting up with Jason." The older woman smiled at the blonde girl but had quickly turned back to their discussion at hand.