Prologue

"Hood was here. Did you know? He didn't try and rescue you, you know." Guy of Gisborne explained to Allan A Dale.

Allan was in the prison, underneath the castle, waiting for Robin and his friends to rescue him. Confused by Guy's words he still listened.

Guy continued, "So, I was thinking one chance to live."

Still Allan would not think to hurt his comrade, "I will not help you kill Robin. M'not helping you kill anyone."

"Yeah," Sir Guy said with a new tone. He was serious. "I respect you for that. So lets look at this another way, shall we? An exchange as we go along. A little information, a little money a conversation."

"What sort of conversation?"

"Oh, harmless one." Gisborne continued, "If I need extra guards in a building, you let me know. If I need to reroute a convoy. That sort of conversation. I am not robbed. Robin is not killed. In between us pulls a service. You and I. We are the ones, who make our supposed betters look good. And they take us for granted. But what happens when they move on? Then it's our turn."

Guy paused and continued, "You wanna help the poor? Help yourself first. Make provision for the future. You'll never be named, you'll never be implicated. This is just between you and me. You'll be my eyes and my ears. And when all this is over you will have money and position. And you can help the poor to your hearts content..."