It Doesn't Work That Way

Prologue

It was pitch black out now and the street lamps on the side of the street were out. I don't know what time it is or how long I've been out here, but I know it's raining and has been for some time now. The rain has soaked through my clothing and I feel the water dripping from my hair and sliding down my face washing away any evidence of me crying. I'm kneeling on the ground in the middle of the street and I notice my left foot has fallen asleep so I move it. My foot scrapes across asphalt and I feel the familiar sensation of pin pricks. I feel a sting coming from my knee and I know it's scraped and possibly bleeding, but I can't find it in myself to care. I don't feel anything, I'm numb. Numb to the pain, to the cold, to everything. I can't feel anything, and I don't care. I was alone, again. I had lost everything, again. And I felt nothing, absolutely nothing. I shut myself down. Everyone leaves I know that; have known that, but I let myself open up anyway. In the end it will only be you and you alone. No one will be there for you, no one will save you. Everyone is alone. We are alone, always and forever. I don't know why I even thought otherwise. Okay that's a lie I do know. I thought he would be different. And he was for awhile at least, but then everything changed. He wasn't who I thought he was. I was wrong, so very wrong. But that was to be expected, I'll never get the fairy tale ending. Fairy tales are for the weak. For those who believe that love is real and for those that believe in love at first sight. But it's not real. It will never be real. Because it doesn't work that way.

*Author's note*So the new and improved It Doesn't Work That Way. Well the prologue anyway. So I hope you like it, constructive criticism is always welcome as long as you aren't mean or rude about it. I know it still needs work I'm nowhere near a great writer, but be kind I have a fragile ego. :) So please PLEASE vote and comment you don't even have to follow me :) I would just like to know what y'all think. So have an amazingly fantastic morning/afternoon/evening/night wherever you may be.