15

If Alexandria had a stockier body and shorter hair, she’d look exactly like her dad, Jamie thinks.

He sits in the back seat of her dad, Roy’s, car, with Alexandria sitting shotgun and turning around to talk to Jamie often. Roy doesn’t say much, but he does ask Jamie  questions every once in awhile, and he has a pleasant attitude, so Jamie likes him okay.

Their apartment is small, but cosy. There’s boxes of unpacked items still littered around, and it smell likes the breakfast they made that morning. Jamie follows Alexandria as she leads him down a short hallway.

“Dude, we have the freakiest neighbors ever. I can make my own comedy act from telling stories about them,” Alexandria says. “Every other night I hear stuff from the other side of the wall in my room, and I think they’re having satanic, cult activities. Or very kinky sex.”

She takes him to her room and the first thing he notices is a fat cat lounging on a lime green bed. “That’s Celebrity. He acts like a diva,” she says, grabbing her iPod off her desk and hooking it up to a speaker.

“Research has shown,” she begins, scrolling through her playlist, “that indie-listeners, such as you, don’t listen to a variety of music that isn’t indie or underground. I’m here to help broaden your horizon and cure you with some old-school 90’s alternative and hip-hop.”

While the music plays she explains each corner in her room in detail. In one corner is a small bookshelf and crates full of CDs, books, and movies. The other has a neon pink beanbag, and a sidetable with incenses and a large jar filled with different candies in it. The wall next to it is full of pictures and posters.

“This is my wall of celebrities,” Alexandria says, pointing to glossy black and white photos of old film stars Jamie’s never heard of. “This one’s Ramon Navarro. He’s my all time crush.”

“I thought Joe Drummer---,”

“Strummer.”

“Uh, Strummer, was?”

“Well, him and Miley Cyrus, but life’s too short to only have one crush.”