Chapter 4, I miss my best friend

"He doesn't love me!" I had said to my best girl friend Sage, when we were eleven.

"Yes he does silly!" She said.

"NO!" I said.

"YES!" She said back.

"What's going on ladies?" Carson had come over to see what we were arguing about.

"Nothing." I said quickly my cheeks redening.

"Ali loves you!" Sage yelled and ran away laughing.

"Oh my god!" I buried my face in my hands.

"Relax Ali." Carson soothed. "Don't be emabressed that you love me, because I love you to.

"I knew there was something familiar about that name." Carson said. "Well I'm late I should go-" He turned quickly.

"If you leave I will have a panic attack and they will force you to come and stop my screaming. Or we can talk like friends and then you can leave." I said holding his arm to keep him from going. "Your choice."

He shook his head, defeated. "Alessandra its been a while, and you still have your demanding attitude."

"Excuse me?" I asked pretending to be sad. "Great thing to say to you best friend."

I hugged him but he pushed me away. "What is your problem Carson Rowan?"

"I shouldn't -"

"Why did you disappear at my wedding?" I interrupted.

"Well I-"

"Where did you go?" Again I didn't let him answer.

"You see I-"

"We were all worried! Your parents wouldn't tell us anything!" I said.

"Please let me get one word-"

"And now you show up in the weirdest place at the most random time ever!"

"ALESSANDRA!" He said.

I jumped and quited down.

"You are just the same. Always asking questions and not listening for the answers." He said bitterly. "You never let me get one word out."

"Sorry?" I said cautiously.

"Its a little late for that." He snapped and pulled his arm from my hand. One last glare and he walked away.

"Carson!" I ran after him. "Please don't go!" I was oblivous to the other people listening.

He stopped but didn't turn.

"I can't afford to loose you again." My eyes watered.

"What am I to you?" He whispered, I could barely hear him.

"My best friend ever. And you know it!" I cried.

"We could've been more." He said.

"No Carson. It wouldn't have worked out."

"Really?" He turned. "Are you physic? Did you really know what would happen?"

"Carson... what if we broke up? It would've been bad enough to lose my boyfriend but I couldn't loose you." I said quietly.

"Alessandra, we could've tried." Carson said. "Everyone thought we would've been perfect. They had bets on when we would marry."

"Really?"

"Yes I bet to." He said.

"What did you bet for?"

"For us to marry as soon as possible." He smiled. "Its a little late for both of us."

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing. I will tell you some other time." He said. "Did you really not know I loved you?"

"No. I was oblivious." I said.

"Well Alessandra guess what?" He asked.

"What?"

"I love you."

I didn't know what to say so I stayed silent. But to fill it I hugged him and this time he didn't push me away.