Rumination

The definition of Rumination, once again, per online definition, is,

an eating disorder in which a person - usually an infant or young child - brings back up and re-chews partially digested food that has already been swallowed. In most cases, the re-chewed food is then swallowed again; but occasionally, the child will spit it out.

The exact cause of Rumination disorder is not known; however, there are several factors that may contribute to its development:

•Physical illness or severe stress may trigger the behavior.
•Neglect of or an abnormal relationship between the child and the mother or other primary caregiver may cause the child to engage in self-comfort.
•For some people, the act of chewing is comforting.
•It may be a way for the person to gain attention.

~~~

This is considered a 'very rare' Eating Disorder, and commonly affects young people (under the age of 4). The numbers for older children, teenagers, and adults are hard to calculate as most will feel shame or embarrassment surrounding their ED and will often not inform anyone of their disorder.

This is most often treated with Psychotherapy and some form of Aversive Conditioning: which involves placing something sour or bad-tasting on the person's tongue when he or she begins to vomit. There are no medications associated with Rumination disorder.

Respiratory issues are a pressing problem for those afflicted with this ED, because the vomit will often get breathed into the lungs and cause unforseen complications.

This Eating Disorder is often outgrown without a few months of when it started, but it can still be a damaging experience, and an untreated disorder will often drag on longer.

Overall there is little known about this ED, but if you need more information, I'll find what I can.