10. Secrets Pt. 1

Its been almost a full year since the War and almost the marking of the end of the year. In District Twelve the end of year was a small, but great celebration. Peeta tells me his father had told him once that before the Dark Days they had a celebration called "Crismus" or something. All he knows is that it was about celebrating the coming of a savior, coincidental to the end of the year celebration which meant new beginnings, a new year celebration meant you survived one in the starving District. I found it funny how before that celebration we didn't have this Crismus, we really did need a savior. Panem has decided to use old traditions that were done on that day and rename it Libertatem, since the war ended around this time in winter and Libertatem means freedom.

Peeta is currently in his studio painting. He does this as frequently as I hunt, which is what I just came back from doing. I had two rabbits to show for it, but it was a small haul, for I spent most of my time trying to figure out what present to give Peeta on the new holiday. This is what my thoughts in the woods conceived of:

I know him, and he doesn't like fancy clothes or expensive presents. Well come to think of it neither do I. But I need to give him something, the...my boy with the bread. Who's done so much for me and has stayed with me for so long, despite who I am and what I've done...
Before I start reminiscing in the past I refocus my thoughts back to Peeta. I think of everything he likes, dislikes, anything he wants dearly, anything about him really. Baking, painting, simplistic things with meaning, children. Children. Why that popped into my head amongst his dearest wants I don't know but it struck me. He's talked about wanting children one day and I don't blame him he'd be the best father in the entire world. Any child with him as their father would be lucky. He loves me. I think. And I love him...One day. One day maybe I could give that to him. But right now it's too much to even fathom. When I have dreams of screaming people and dead children. KATNISS! What does Peeta want. What could he like. I think shaking myself out of it for one final time.

After all that thinking in the woods I finally thought of something he might love. I hear Peeta come out of his studio and walk to my-our bedroom bathroom where I am washing my hands. I look up and and see that he is covered in greens and browns and peaches with a spritz of light pink on his cheek, probably from wiping it with his sleeve the exact way that I do.

"Good afternoon, Rainbow," I call him. He smiles and kisses me lightly on the mouth, welcoming me home.
"Good afternoon malady," he says unpuckering his lips from our kiss.
"Should I ask why you're covered in paint from head to toe?"
"Should I ask why your're covered in twigs?"

I look down at my self and see I have a few twigs and a light layer of dirt on my clothes. Usually I'm so careful and clean, but with my mind on Peeta all day, I've gotten a little dirty.

"Touché," I raise my eyebrows.

-----------
*Libertatem Eve

I've spent the last week working on Peeta's gift. I've worked on it in the woods every day and hid it in the small crook of the log I've hid my sheath and arrows in with my father and-Gale-for years. Which is also how I've been hiding it from Peeta, saying I've seen deer in the woods in such cold whether and that its a lucky sign. Luckily he doesn't know that much about the woods so he relents. I wonder what he's been doing these days while I'm not at home.

We eat a nice dinner Peeta prepared for the occasion and I wear a nice green dress and do my hair a little more decent than I usually do. Peeta, apparently thankful for this, kisses me longer than usual before dinner. But he does say, "You take me by surprise with your beauty everyday, today it just took me by surprise twice." In which I blush profusely.

When we finish our dinner we snuggle up by the fire and extend our couch, since we recently found out it can turn into a small bed. Peeta didn't want to go upstairs and to be honest neither did I, which I told him, we were both scared of the nightmares that might come when we reach that bed. Even in each others arms they still find a way to catch us one way or another. So we stay on the couch and snuggling each other in front of the fire, talking about anything and everything under the sun until sleep takes over.

-------

AN: Lovely! Part two's right around the corner. Almost finished as we speak or if your lucky it's there already. I'm also writing a quick short story called Wonder and Awe. It would be great if you could read it and share your thoughts when published. Thanks for reading<3. Constructive criticism is welcome since this is my first fic. ~Gail