Chapter 8

Why did Frisk seem...mad, today? They had been giving the silent treatment all day. Had it been something Chara had done?

"Hey, uh, Frisk?" Chara asked as they rode the Riverboat back to Hotland. "Is something wrong...?"

Frisk kept their back towards Chara, and turned their head, giving an icy glare. They silently pointed at Chara's neck. "My scarf...? Are you serious?! You're pouting because I won't tell you why I'm still wearing it?" Frisk turned away from Chara. "Frisk...! You're such a child!" Frisk didn't respond, ignoring them. "F....Fine! I can give the silent treatment too!" Chara angrily folded their arms, turning their back to Frisk also.

Moments later, Chara began to grumble to themself. "That's not very silent," Frisk commented.

Chara growled, wanting so badly to throw their knife at the slightly younger brat. But, their knife was lost near the entrance of Waterfall, and they could already feel the heat of Hotland nearby. "Why did I get rid of it in the first place?" Chara mumbled to themself, "That was my most prized possession. The thing I cared about the most. Why did I toss it away?"

"Mayhaps you had found a new knife," The Riverperson spoke up.

Chara jumped at the voice. "What?"

"Perhaps there was a new, shinier, more desirable knife you wished to have. But, in order to gain the trust of that knife, you had to get rid of the old one." They paused, as if wanting Chara to respond, then continued, "But, as soon as you had that knife in your possession, you realized that this new knife was much more fragile then the old one, and was easily snapped." Another pause. "Now, the new knife requires more than attention and trust. It requires amendments and care."

Soon, the boat came to a stop in front of the warm ground of Hotland. Chara and Frisk climbed off the riverboat, and the Riverperson sang, "Come again sometime. Tra la la."

The two walked through Alphys' lab, advancing through Hotland, Frisk still giving the silent treatment. Amendments and care... Chara thought, not sure what the riverperson could possibly mean by 'a new-'

Holy shit it was an analogy. Frisk was the 'new knife' that Chara now had to treat with more than attention and trust.

"Frisk...?" Chara called again. Frisk looked at them out of the corner of their eye. Amendments and care. Chara sighed, pulling off the scarf silently, revealing the mark on their neck. Frisk's expression softened, then hardened again.

"Who did it?"

"Hmm?"

"How did a hickey get on your neck?"

"....hickey...?"

Frisk tried to keep their angry expression, but couldn't help but snicker, "You don't know what a hickey is?" Chara slowly shook their head and Frisk burst out laughing.

"What's so funny?!" Chara hissed, but couldn't stay mad for long. Frisk was back to their idiotic self.

"You seriously don't know what a hickey is?"

"No!"

Frisk made an attempt to calm their laughing, "Well, okay, tell me how that hi- I mean, how that 'mark' got on your neck."

Chara blushed and sighed, "You put it here..." Frisk abruptly stopped laughing, and nearly tripped even though they weren't even walking. "When you were drunk... You...assaulted me... And, started biting my neck... And, then you started mumbling about how much you loved me... Then you passed out... While you were passed out, I planned on discarding the scarf, then I saw the mark and..." It was weird, telling and reliving the event. Chara hadn't thought much of it then -- Frisk was simply drunk, and had no control over what they were talking about. No control, not no idea. What if these were things Frisk had thought about for awhile, but only surfaced when they had no control over their actions?