Chapter Twelve: Grenade

Picture is Rose Barnes.

Music is "I Love You (For Sentimental Reasons)" by Nat King Cole.

·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·

CHAPTER TWELVE: Grenade

"You jumped on a what?!"

·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·

{Earlier that day}

I've found her. I've found the perfect woman for Steven Grant Rogers. She's smart, she's witty, she's beautiful, she's strong, she's also not afraid to punch anyone in the face. Anyone. She's close to the polar opposite of Steve, appearance-wise. Her chin-length, chocolate brown hair is pin-curled, her brown eyes almost the exact same color. She has some of the most beautiful porceline skin I've ever seen; it makes her 1940s makeup style stand out even more.

Her name is Peggy Carter.

The first time both Steve and I saw her was when they did the lineup for the soldiers. She made quite an impression. I was only allowed to stay for the first couple minutes, but those couple minutes had me chuckling along with Steve from the other side of the field, standing with the Colonel and the doctor.

"Recruits, attention!" Peggy Carter comes to stand in front of the soldiers that are lined up. "Gentlemen, I am Agent Carter. I supervise all operations for this division."

One of the random men in the line up starts getting smart with her. "What's with the accent, Queen Victoria? Thought I was signing up for the U.S. Army."

Peggy comes to stand in front of the arrogant soldier, completely composed like a queen. "What's your name, soldier?"

"Gilmore Hodge, your Majesty," he smirks.

"Step forward, Hodge." Hodge steps forward from the line up, and Steve sends me a knowing smirk. This is gonna be so good. "Put your right foot forward."

Hodge smirks at Peggy. "We gonna wrestle? 'Cause I got a few moves I know you'll like." He winks at Peggy, and without hesitation, Peggy punches him in the face with a hell of a right hook.

"Agent Carter!" Colonel Phillips starts walking from the base buildings, smiling at her.

She turns and salutes him as Hodge tries to pull himself together. "Colonel Phillips!" Steve turns to me and grins.

He's smitten already.

"I see you're breaking in the candidates. That's good!" Phillips looks to Hodge with a very unapproving look. "Get your ass up out of that dirt and stand on that line at attention 'til somebody comes and tells you what to do."

Hodge stands at attention, sniffling through his more than likely broken nose. "Yes, sir!"

Phillips turns to the rest of the candidates, hands folded behind his back. "General Patton has said that wars are fought with weapons, but they are won by men. We are going to win this war because we have the best men." Phillips turns to Steve, giving him a side eye look that makes me think that it wasn't his idea to let him into Project: Rebirth. "And because they are gonna get better... much better.

"The Strategic Scientific Reserve is an Allied effort made up of the best minds in the free world. Our goal is to create the best army in history, but every army starts with one man. At the end of this week, we will choose that man. He will be the first in a new breed of super-soldier, and they will personally escort Adolf Hitler to the gates of hell."