Chapter Sixteen: Ma Likes You

Picture is Katie McGrath as Becca Barnes.

Music is "When You Wish Upon A Star" by Glenn Miller.

·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

{October 22, 1938 - Five Years Ago}

Butterflies flutter through my stomach as I hear a knock on my door. I rush to get the door, seeing my smiling rescuer on the other side. He wears his usual dress pants with suspenders over a white work shirt. His work shirt is slung over his shoulder, having come directly from Rossi's that afternoon. He gives me a boyish smile. "Hey there, Doll."

I smile back, my blush becoming deeper. "Hey, Bucky."

He offers me an arm. "Ready to get goin'? You're gonna love Ma and Rose. I just know it."

I link my arm through his, nervously replying, "Cannot wait!"

The truth is that I'm extremely nervous. Butterflies fly mercilously in my stomach. My hands are shaking, and Bucky takes notice as we walk down the stairs to the car outside. "You alright, Doll? You're shaking."

I nod, turning to face him. "I'm alright. Just nervous is all. You're one of my closest friends. I dare say my best friend. What if they don't like me?"

Bucky turns to me with a look that says, "Are you kidding me?"

"What?"

"You don't know my Ma and Rose. They'll be all over you. They will love you. I swear."

"What about your other sister? Rebecca?"

Bucky sighs. "Becca might be a little bit of a jerk, but that's my fault. Not yours." He turns to me and smiles. "Just promise me you'll ignore anything she says? She's... difficult."

I give his arm a squeeze. "She'll be just fine."

With that, we hop into his car and drive across town to his mother's house on the other side of Brooklyn. The traffic is light, so we make it there in mere minutes. The house is beautiful, one I didn't think anyone could afford in Brooklyn. It's nearly connected to several others of it's likeness, but there is a small space between them. Brown brick with a tiny front yard, its elegance and quaintness make me smile as we come to a stop. "Wow. Your house is beautiful!"

"Yeah. Ma bought it with the money that she got from the Army... after Dad died."

"Oh, Bucky. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

He waves it off, shrugging. "It's alright. No hard done. I was six when he died. I don't remember him all that well." He turns to give me a forced smile, then jumps from the car, rushing around to my side to open my door like a gentleman. "Here we are, Ma'am," he grins, offering me a hand to get out with. "You look beautiful, by the way."

I blush, pulling myself from the car. "Oh, Bucky. Always such a flirt."

"No, I mean it."

"Really?"

"Really. Now, c'mon. Rose will be waiting at the door like a puppy-"

Before he can finish, a young girl, maybe around thirteen or fourteen, comes racing from the house. Her blonde curls bounce on her shoulders, and she grins at her brother with the same smile he wears. "Bucky!" She throws herself into his arms, her arms going around his neck.

Bucky laughs and hugs her back with the same intensity. "Rose, there's someone I'd like you to meet." Rose hops down and gives me a once over. "Emma, this is Rosemary Barnes, my kid sister. Rose, Emma Jane Holmes, the friend I was tellin' you about."