Chapter Twenty-Nine: Happily Ever After

Picture is Tatiana Maslany from The Woman In Gold as Emma Jane Holmes.

Music is "I Could Write A Book" by Margaret Whiting.

·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: Happily Ever After

{March 1, 1939 - Five Years Ago}

Bucky kept his arm firmly around my shoulders as we walked to his car and drove to his house. Once we're inside, Marilyn and Rose are instantly asking why I was crying and what was wrong. With a few words here and there, Bucky does most of the explaining. Marilyn orders us to take our seats on the sofa and hands me a hot cup of my favorite tea. Her eyes are kinder than ever.

I utter a soft, "Thank you," and take her gift graciously. I lean into Bucky's embrace, allowing him to comfort me as Rose and Marilyn takes seats opposite us.

"Ma, I was thinking she could live here for a while," Bucky says, finishing telling his mother about my predicament with the bank. He had told her everything that had occurred earlier that day. "She needs a place to stay."

Marilyn brushes a stray, dark curl from her forehead. "Of course, sweetheart. I'd love nothing less." She huffs and rolls her eyes, stating, "I can't believe those scoundrels at the bank. They're cracking down on everyone, you know. It's like the depression all over again; I know because I grew up during the first one." Then her face returns to it's friendly form. "We'll help you move your things over the weekend. Is that all right, Emma sweetie?"

I nod, my eyes tearing up for a completely different reason this time. "I cannot thank you enough, Marilyn. I hope I won't be a burden. You're welcome to my grocery rations, and once I start working I'll be able to help with rent--"

Marilyn waves her hand, looking slightly offended. "--Nonsense, sweetie! This house is paid off with the money we received from the Army after George's death, and we have more than enough rations."

"Please, let me do something to help."

Sensing my need to carry a little of my own weight, Marilyn nods hesitatingly. "All right, sweetie, but only the rations. Everything else is taken care of."

I smile softly. "Thank you."

Marilyn stands. "You can have the room down the hall, the one across from mine. Rose, Becca, and Bucky's room are all upstairs, but we've had a spare one downstairs for ages. It'll be nice to finally have someone to live in it."

Rose jumps up from the sofa, clapping in excitement. "Another girl! Yay! This will be so much fun!"

Bucky's arm tightens around my shoulders. "I told you it'd all turn out all right, didn't I?"

Marilyn walks off, saying something about getting the room ready, and Rose follows her, asking constant questions about redecorating it. I turn to look up at Bucky with a smile. "You did. I'm sorry I ever doubted you."

Bucky sighs, leaning forward to place a kiss on my forehead. His arm around my shoulder moves so he can rub circles on my back, and his other hand links his fingers through my own. We're close enough to feel each other's heartbeats, and it's such a comforting feeling. His cheek leans against my hair, and my face buries into his neck.

And then a thought crosses my mind. A quick movement of neurons that catches me off guard, but the more I think of it, the more I agree with it. The more it stays on my mind, the more surprised I am that I hadn't said it before. We've been a couple for nearly five months, and somehow it's never occurred to me to say it.