Chapter Twenty-Three: Homeless

Picture is of the Howling Commandos.

Music is "Killing Me Softly" by Frank Sinatra.

·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: Homeless
{March 1, 1939 - Four Years Ago}

The notice just inside my apartment makes my stomach turn. With gently shaking hands, I pick it up and read the lettering on the front: Eviction Notice. I quickly pull apart the envelope, getting to the letter inside. It reads:

"Miss Emma Jane Holmes,

You are hereby given two weeks of warning before your apartment will be confiscated by the bank. You have failed to make the  previous three monthly payments. Unless you are able to pay those three months by the 14th of this month, as well as two months in advance, you will be evicted.

Sincerely,
The Bank of New York City"

Anger and terror fills my entire body as I stumble over to the sofa. "Sincerely? Sincerely my ass!" I throw the notice down on the floor and cover my mouth with my hands. Thoughts of what will happen to me fill my head. Thoughts of homelessness, living on the street, surviving without a place of shelter. All the money I'd been left by my mother was running out; I'd been using it to complete my education. School would be finished in two months, so dropping out would get me nowhere. I had a job at Rossi's up until a month or so ago, but they laid a bunch of people off because of the war.

A knock sounds at my apartment door. When I don't answer to the first or second set, a familiar New York voice says, "Ems? Doll, you in there?"

"C-Come in. It's unlocked."

Bucky steps through the door, rubbing his hands together to warm them. "Jeez! It's fucking cold out there! I swear, New York Winter's a b--" He trails off as he sees my face, my body frozen on the sofa. "Emma, what's wrong?"

I shake my head and point wordlessly to the notice on the floor. Bucky picks it up and groans. "Oh, Doll."

"Read it," my raspy voice tells him.

Bucky, hesitantly, does as I say. His eyes flicker swiftly across the paper, his brows pulling closer and closer together as time goes on. "This is bullshit! They can't just kick you out of your own damn home!"

"Clearly they can, Buck," I mumble, wrapping my arms around myself. "All the money I'd saved for school is gone because school is almost done. It was more expensive than I thought. All of Mother's money is used up."

Bucky drops the notive and comes to sit beside me on the sofa. "Why didn't you tell me any of this, Doll? I could've helped ya. You didn't need to do this all alone."

I shrug. "It's embarrassing. I didn't want to worry you or your family."

Bucky pulls me into a warm embrace. "You are family, Emma. Why don't you get that? I'd do anythin' for you, Doll." He pauses. "Is your heat off? Did they cut off your heat, Ems?"

I shiver slightly. "Last week."

"Oh god, Doll. You can't live like this."

I lean into him, enjoying the warmth he has to offer. A tear slips down my cheek. "What do I do, Bucky? I'm lost. I don't have any idea what--"

"--Well, obviously, you're gonna come live with me." He says it as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

I lift my head and wipe my eyes. "Bucky... I couldn't do that... I'd be imposing--"