Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen:

"Katelyn Joyce, you have hereby graduated Hybrid Academy as an Apprentice Hunter." Everyone claps, as expected of them, though there are a few murmurings at the fact that I'm a Hunter, not a Protector. I spot Alec standing in the back of the room with a look of pride on his face, and I see Joel sitting towards the front, looking down at his hands. He's playing with some sort of small knife, and I wonder why he's holding it.

'I'm contemplating whether or not to throw it at Alec,' he thinks right into my mind. I stiffen for two reasons. Firstly, Joel hasn't communicated to me through the bond for several weeks; secondly, he means every word.

'Look at me,' I think loudly. He looks up. 'You know why I can't make the choice yet, Joel. Besides, your attitude isn't helping.'

'I don't even care anymore,' he lies.

'Joel, please-' Suddenly, he severs the mental connection and looks back down again. I don't even know how he can block me from his mind; I've never been able to.

"Please welcome the final ten senior students to the stage," proclaims the headmaster. Joel stands to his feet with nine others and files in front of my group.

"Joel Raven, you have hereby graduated Hybrid Academy as an Apprentice Hunter." I freeze, and Joel gives me a quick glance.

'Yes, Kate. I became a Hunter too. It's always been my dream.' This couldn't be happening to me. Joel and I could easily be paired on a mission.

***

"What the hell were you thinking?" I hiss, cornering Joel after the ceremony. "How could you do that?"

"Kate, it had nothing to do with you," he replies in a bored tone. "Although, I do admit that I didn't really think it through. I have no place to stay." Come to think of it, neither do I. Protectors tend to stay with the people they are hired by, but Hunters are rarer and generally keep to themselves and live in remote areas, or they blend in with humans until they receive a mission. "You think too much," Joel says, rubbing his temples. "You give me a headache."

"At least it proves that I actually have a brain," I joke. Joel gives me an odd look.

"I wasn't aware that we were friends again," he says bluntly.

"Joel-"

"Wait, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. Dammit. I wish we could just erase all the awkwardness between us."

"Joel, we're going to be bonded for the rest of our lives. It will never be awkward, because I know how you think, and you know how I think. Can we please be friends again?"

"Only if you promise me one thing," he says seriously, and I nod. "If you ever fall in love with me again, don't date my half-brother at the same time." His words jab deep, but I understand what he means.

"I promise."

"Uh... I'll meet up with you later, okay?" he suddenly says, and then walks off. I turn around and face Alec, whose gaze looks extremely distant.

"Alec, what's wrong? You look-"

"Kate, I'm leaving. I'm going back to my hometown, where a family has asked me to protect their daughter, who is thirteen."

"What? Alec, you can't just-"

"What? I can't leave? Kate, I didn't come to ask your permission. I came to say goodbye."

"Alec, please. I don't want you to leave me." He shakes his head.

"It's too late. I'll see you again, I can promise you that. I just don't know how long it will be until that happens." He pulls me into a bone-crushing hug, and I'm surprised to feel tears falling down my cheeks. "Good luck, Kate. Always do your best, and I can promise that you will be the best." He releases me, then hesitates before leaning in and kissing my forehead. "I'm sorry that this couldn't turn out differently," he says softly.