Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen:

=] [=KATE’S POV=] [=

“Katelyn, pay attention,” snaps my partner, a sour woman by the name of Rachel. She’s around forty years of age, and she treats me like a child.

“You’re not my superior, so stop acting like it,” I retort. “I am just as skilled as you. This is my mission too.” I return my gaze to the house before me, waiting for the man we’re hunting to exit. The moment he leaves, we have about ten seconds to do the job, otherwise we’ll die. The front door opens, and Rachel immediately jumps forward. I grab her arm and yank her back into the shadows with me.

“It’s not him,” I hiss. “Pay attention. It’s not a competition.” A woman exits, someone around the age of twenty. She looks around cautiously and pulls a hooded cloak over her head, obscuring her face. When she disappears into the shadows, Rachel turns to me.

“Don’t touch me again,” she begins, but I see the man leaving his house, and I ignore her, jumping in to attack. I creep up behind him, and silently stab him in the back, directly through his heart. I hold my hand over his mouth so he can’t alert anyone else to my presence, and then I pull the blade out. I step back and run back into the bushes where Rachel just gapes at me.

“Next time you should actually use all of your ‘years of experience’,” I say, rubbing it in slightly. “Seeing as I just graduated school, and I could’ve completed this mission by myself.” Rachel still looks speechless. She gulps, then opens her mouth to speak.

“I apologise for my earlier disrespect. I didn’t realise you were so skilled.”

“I’ve had two amazing mentors.”

“I heard that Alec Mortan taught you.”

“Yes he did, and so did Miles Taylor. Miles basically raised me.”

“I know him. He was once a Hunter, but retired into becoming a trainer. He was my partner many a time, and a great man.”

“So, what now?” I ask, wondering what happens next.

“Our next mission begins tomorrow. Until then, you can do whatever you like.” I look up at the nearby street sign, and mull over an earlier idea of mine. My sister lives just two blocks away. Maybe it’s time for a family reunion.

***

“Katelyn?”

“Abigail. How do you know what I look like?”

“I could ask you the same question,” she says, frowning.

“I’ve seen you on TV,” I reply pointedly.

“I have pictures from mum and dad. Look, now isn’t the best time. I’m feeding Cleo.”

“Who?” I ask, frowning as well.

“My daughter. She’s almost two.”

“You have kids?”

“Maybe you should come inside,” she says, sighing. I walk into the house, and go to keep moving, but my sister lays a hand on my arm. “Please take off your weapons. I don’t want you scaring Cleo or Mike, my husband.” I pull off my belt, and with it six knives. I keep just one knife in my right boot, and then look to her. “Now, please remove your shoes and jacket.” I pull off my shoes, and my black hoodie. Underneath I’m wearing black three-quarter leggings and a black tank top.

“Happy?” I ask, slightly bitterly.

“Maybe you should take your hair down. It might look slightly less terrifying.”