Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen:

I stand at the entrance to the special area blocked off just for my classes and the living area for my students. I look down at the list in my hand for the thirty-seventh time, though I've already memorised every name.

Naomi Linn, Peter Smith, David Noel, Katherine Grant, Jade Duart, Zane Johnson, Joseph Mitchells, Clara Hyde, Alice Rhodes, Chelsea Pike, Allen Wicks, Joel Raven.

Suddenly, a black-haired girl with dark brown eyes and golden skin rounds the corner. This is Naomi. She's shorter than me- as most girls are- and yet she still looks very formidable. She's carrying a duffle bag on her shoulder, and she's dressed in red and gold.

"I'm Kate, and I will be your trainer," I say, holding out my hand.

"Can I just go and sleep? Jet lag's a bitch." She pushes past me into the hallway, claiming a room. Ten minutes later, three boys stroll up, laughing and chatting together. They walk right past me and into the rooms. Peter, Allen and Joseph, apparently, are all friends. Next approaches a boy and a girl- David and Jade- him with his arm around her shoulders. They're obviously a couple. Four hours later, another boy with white-blonde hair and hazel eyes arrives, and it's obviously Zane. Anticipation grips me, because I know that Joel will be here soon. I hear the giggles first, of four different girls, and then I see them- Katherine, Clara, Alice, Chelsea... and Joel. He sees me, and runs up to me, kissing me passionately on the lips and embracing me. I nudge him slightly, and he pulls away.

"I missed you so much," he says, kissing my cheek. I push him away, giving him a stern look.

"Hey, I'm Kate," I say to the girls. Clara, Chelsea and Alice could pass as triplets, though I know they aren't related. They all have dyed-blonde hair and blue eyes, with the same fake-tanned skin. They're exactly the type of girls I'd expect to flirt with Joel. And, they're also the sort of girls who I'd expect to walk right past me and ignore me completely. This is exactly what they do, of course. Katherine, on the other hand, looks like a Goth, with black fingernails, dyed-black hair covering her face, pale skin, and a sombre expression. She gives me a quick glance, and then walks into the living area.

"Okay," I say, turning to Joel. "Everyone officially hates me."

"I don't," he argues. "Besides, they'll warm up to you once they're settled. So, how is this thing going to work?"

"Well, I just have to train them all up. I think Ella wants me to knock some sense into this lot."

"Why am I here?" Joel asks, then realisation dawns. "Oh. They probably think I'm immature."

"They wouldn't be wrong," I reply seriously. He pokes my shoulder.

"Meanie."

"I rest my case."

"So, where can we go to get reacquainted?" Joel asks me, a sly grin on his face.

***

As I lie in Joel's arms, I feel my worries fading away. He kisses my forehead.

"I love you so much," he whispers against my skin.

"I love you more," I reply challengingly.

"I highly doubt that." He reaches behind my head and undoes my hair tie, letting my hair fall around my face. "So, what time do we need to be up in the morning?"

"I'm getting everyone up at five thirty, because I want to assess everyone's skill level before we properly begin."

"Good luck getting everyone out of bed at that time. I might be a challenge, especially considering I have a very beautiful girl in my bed."