Chapter Twenty-Five

A/N:

I know I'm really bad at counting, but this one is definitely the last chapter!!! Enjoy, maties!!!

Chapter Twenty-five:

I fall to my knees beside the body, feeling lost and full of pain. I've lost absolutely everything. I'm alone, and it's all my fault. I stroke the hair of the corpse and wish that this could be undone somehow. All I know is I can't go on knowing that he's not here with me.

FOUR DAYS EARLIER...

"Come on Kate, I know you can do better." Alec pushes me to a speed that I don't even know how I'm keeping up with. He's stopped me from using my ability so that we can work on my natural skill, and it's becoming very tempting to give in and reach for that gift.

"How are you so good at this?" I ask, slightly out-of-breath. Alec shrugs.

"Years of practice, I guess. Look, why don't we take a break?" I nod, and lean my weight back on a tree. "So, how's your job at the school?" he asks me.

"I don't know. The students like me, but the teachers treat me like a student."

"Maybe I should-"

"No, Alec. I don't need you to beat them up for me."

"I wasn't suggesting that."

"Alec, please. Just stop."

"Kate, I was just going to say that I should come in to work with you more often."

"Why? Is there a reason why you want to be with me every second of every day?" I challenge him.

"No, Kate. I'm just trying to help, okay? I need to protect you."

"I don't need protecting, Alec!" I cross my arms and glare at the ground.

"I need to protect you, Kate. I could never cope if anything happened to you."

"Why do you have to care so much!" I hiss. "You always do this, you treat me like a helpless child."

"You want to know why I care so much?" Alec asks angrily, taking a step towards me. "It's because I love you, Kate." He steps forward again, and quickly leans down to kiss me. His lips brush against mine for a moment, and then I push him away so hard that he stumbles.

"Get away from me! This is why I don't want to be around you! I am not yours, Alec. I have a boyfriend, and I'm quite happy with him."

"He's not even awake right now. He's barely even alive. He'll probably just die and never wake up." My eyes widen at Alec. Did he really just say that? He stares me down defiantly. I can't believe that Alec would ever betray me like this.

"Get away from me, you bastard! I hate you! I never want to see you again." I turn my back on him and stalk away, hopefully for the last time. I'll never make the mistake of trusting him ever again.

***

I close my eyes slowly, letting myself drift off.

"Katelyn?" Someone whispers my name, causing me to jolt awake.

"Wh-who... wha...?" I rub my eyes and sit up, facing none other than... a whole class of students who are quietly doing their work. I look up at the one who woke me, and frown. "Emma?" It's Emma, the most friendly person I know at the school.

"Sorry, I called you by your first name, but you fell asleep, and I was just slightly worried, so I-"

"Whoa, whoa, calm down. I'm up now, okay?"