Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-three:

Watching the new students come in makes me smile. The youngest students allowed in the school are fifteen, the oldest are eighteen. Many of the new ones are younger, and so they look inexperienced and not ready for the gruelling training waiting for them. I'm teaching archery to the first years, knife-throwing to the second years, and I will be the coach of the track team, which usually has a lot of enthusiastic members. I also have to choose a couple of students to mentor, which I'm looking forward to, because I know that being a personal mentor is an important and enjoyable experience. Each student walks up to the front of the crowded assembly hall and receives a white sash which symbolises their beginning at the school. When a senior student graduates, they receive a black sash to show experience and respect. New teachers receive a golden sash, and so I have to step forward when my name is called.

"We have two new members of staff at Hunter Academy," the headmistress declares. "Please welcome Mr Ezra Sykes and Miss Katelyn Joyce." The whole room claps respectfully, and we step forward to receive the golden sashes. The new male teacher is fairly young, only in his early twenties, and he raises the sash above his head, receiving a cheer from a few of the boys in the room. I roll my eyes, and walk to the back of the room, him trailing after me. When I reach the back of the room, he steps in front of me.

"So, you're the new teacher, huh?" he says. I nod.

"So are you," I reply pointedly.

"Hm, I suppose I am. Well, I'm not really new to the school. I went here for four years."

"That's nice," I respond sarcastically, not particularly caring in the slightest.

"Which leads me to my next question: what school did you go to?"

"I went to Mystiq Academy for my whole life, but I spent my final term of schooling at Hybrid Academy."

"So, you're a half-breed?" he asks, seeming interested. "I've always wondered what it would be like to know you're not human."

"It's not that much different," I sigh.

"Look, it's been a really long day for me, and I honestly just want to get to bed."

"Would you like me to walk you to your room?" he asks, and I give him a pointed stare.

"Look I'm just trying to be nice. I know it's easy to get lost, and I know my way around the place." I sigh.

"Fine."

The first class I have to teach is archery class, and so I make my way to the archery practice area, which is larger than any that I've ever practised in. My new class arrives in dribs and drabs, and when basically all of them are here, I begin my class.

"Who here believes that their archery skills are perfect?" I ask the class. "Please raise your hand if you do." One person at the back raises their hand. "Please come to the front," I tell the boy, gesturing for him to come forward. He cockily makes his way to the front, standing beside me. I turn to him with a frown on my face.

"What is your name?" I ask, and he chuckles.

"As if you don't know. I'm the best first year student at this school. My name is Luke Pyre."

"Well, Luke, show us all your perfect archery skills. Go ahead." He takes up a bow and nocks an arrow, then fires into the perfect heart of the target. "Your stance is pathetic," I criticise him.

"So? I got it in the perfect centre."

"If anything at all distracted you, or somehow something touched you, you would fall and miss your shot. For example." I poke him behind the knees softly, and he falls forward, unable to keep his balance. "Now, Luke, watch me as I shoot, and do your best to knock me over." I pick up my own bow, feeling the familiar shape beneath my fingers. I aim for the target, standing firmly, lowering my centre of gravity. I feel the boy jabbing me behind the knees, but I don't budge. I shoot into the target perfectly, and he gives up.