Chapter 1

Hudson's POV:

I was so late for school and I was actually terrified. I had never been late for school ever and I was never away so for me to be running through the halls of my school trying to find the classroom was a huge deal for me. Out of all days I had to forget my glasses.

I finally found my way to my English class and rushed inside panting and coughing. I wasn't as fit as I thought I was. I didn't look up to see the whole class staring at me until I heard my last name being called by the English teacher.

"Mr Smith would you mind explaining why you're late?" Mr Johnson asked. He had a smirk on his face and his arms were crossed. I just shook my head and mumbled a quick sorry before I sat down in my seat at the back of the classroom.

Before you ask. No we weren't assigned seats we were allowed to sit wherever we wanted but after a few times in the classroom nobody wants to move from their, so called, seat so they just stay there like it was their arranged seat.

Mr Johnson glared at me for a little while before he went on with marking the rolls. When he came to my name he rolled his eyes and didn't even bother looking up to glance at me. He kept his head down and went onto the next person's name. I sighed as I leaned back in my chair. This was going to be a long lesson, I thought to myself. All I really wanted to do was go to the library and keep reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson which was by far the best book I have ever read.

-

I quickly ran down to the library, after class was over, as I didn't want to be beaten up by the jocks. I had already been abused once this week and I didn't want it to happen again. Those morons broke my glasses and all I could do was tape them back up as I didn't have the money to buy new ones.

Yeah you could say my family wasn't the richest people ever. Which was true. My parents worked their butts off to try and feed me and my little sister, Emma, but we always ran out of money by the end of the week. They couldn't afford to buy us Christmas presents or chocolate when Easter came around and it was always a surprise if we got one birthday present. That's why I was stuck with a stupid flip phone instead of an iPhone like most kids had now-a-days.

I didn't mind though. I wasn't complaining. I knew my parents were under a lot of stress at the moment as Emma, who was only 10 mind you, had gotten diagnosed with cancer. That meant Mum and Dad had to pay off hospital bills and go visit her every chance they had. This meant I was stuck home alone all the time and rarely got to see my parents. I only saw them when I went down to the hospital to see my sister but even then I didn't get to talk to them because they were always so tired and almost falling asleep.

My life wasn't great but I could always get away from it when I read. Reading was always my favourite past time. You could always get sucked into this different world where life was great. I could read for hours on end until someone interrupted me and I feel out of this wonderful world and slipped back into the sad reality that I seemed to be living. At least I had a life so I couldn't really complain. Although sometimes I wished it was different. I wished that my sister had never gotten cancer or that my Mum and Dad were never working their butts off to pay bills or feed the whole family. I wished I was rich so I could have the endless supplies of books I wished for or a fancy car that I always wanted.

But no living a terrible, poor life was what I got stuck with. Getting second hand books was always going to be how it was. I couldn't change it.