Chapter 7: Milling Ledgers

I burst into the house and immediately went searching. First I went to all the upstairs bedrooms. Nothing. Where in the world could they hide huge brown books of tree records? I walked into the "all purpose room". Throwing every book off the selves I got nothing. No records of a White Oak, just every other tree ever cut down in this town. "Ugh! Where the bloody hell is it?" I shrieked in frustration as I cleaned the mess of scattered books.

When the house was as they left it I grabbed my coat and headed out, determined. I soon found my feet taking me towards Mystic Grill at lightning speed. Then I smelt it and I realized how long it's been. The veins under my eyes bubbled up and I could feel my canines lengthening. Blood. Soon I was in an alley. There was a woman, blood oozing from her neck, as she fumbled in my mother's arms. Damon was just a few feet away and Stefan looked dazed. I could tell Stefan was trying to resist but that was more than I could say about me. I flashed before them and latched onto her neck, letting the crimson liquid flow through my mouth. When I could tell she was at least halfway dead I stopped. "Delicious." I sighed wiping my mouth with the back of my hand. Then Stefan grabbed the girl and I saw him look at the blood, almost pained. Then the fangs came; soon enough he was draining blood from her body. Damon shooed my mother off, and I just stood there, waiting to see when he would detach. But he didn't, instead he kept drinking; and drinking. Damon ended up trying to pry him off; Stefan kept trying to go for the blood but Damon pushed him back. "Hey! You want to fight hunger or do you want to fight me?" Damon bit into his wrist and shoved it into the lady's mouth. Then I heard footsteps. "What are you doing?" A female voice questioned as the footsteps came to an end. Stefan looked like a deer in the headlights as he turned to look at the doppelganger. "Stefan?' She whispered and I saw a guy standing behind her. I remembered him from the ball; he was my mother's date. Stefan was choking on his own words and it pained me to know he was so ashamed of who he was. He attempted to wipe the blood from his mouth, but it didn't work. "Elena." He mumbled under his breath. "What are you two doing?" She asked the brother's completely ignoring my presence. Wow, thanks bitch. "Relax Elena, just a little experiment. No need to make this any more dramatic then it needs to be. " Damon held his hands up in surrender. "Elena let's just go." Matt, I think that's what his name is, tried to pull Elena away from the scene all the while glaring at Stefan. "Elena!" Matt, persisted finally dragging her away. Stefan turned around to face his brother. "So, uh," Damon began awkwardly, "that's gonna take some time." I glared at the older Salvatore. Then Stefan walked off, despite Damon's protests. He was about to walk after him but I placed my hand in front of him. "You've done enough, I got this." I growled before disappearing.

"Hey Stefan." I greeted quietly as he stared into the fire. He didn't answer. "Stefan look, I'm sorry ab-" I was cut off when a pair of lips met mine. I was shocked at first but I began to kiss back. The kiss was filled with love and passion. I literally took my breath away but all to soon, it was over. Stefan pulled back and I opened my eyes. He was looking at me intensely. The gaze was soon interrupted when the front door opened, and closed. "They let Ric go." Damon voiced echoed through the room, and Stefan went back to looking into the fire. My lips were still tingling and I brushed my fingertips over them. "Sheriff Forbes say she's out of suspects again, but," He hopped down the steps, "Ric is in the clear." He concluded still walking closer. "I know it may not seem like it but-" "Damon be quiet and go away. You're not helping." I command, Damon remains still. "Okay you try Damon I'll start making bets on how long it takes before he snaps your neck." I sigh walking out of the living room and up to my bedroom. Laying my head back on the pillow I sighed. Did I like Stefan? I kept silently asking myself that question over and over. It stopped when I saw something. On the bookshelf there was a group of leather bound brown books. Milling ledgers. a grin broke out on my face and I ran over to them searching each one until I found what I was looking for. White oak, Wickery Bridge. I found it! I took out my phone and quickly snapped some pictures sending them to Kol for confirmation. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs and quickly put the books away. I walked over to my closet and pulled out a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt. I pulled them on and lay back on my bed just as Stefan entered the room.

"We need to talk."

__________________________________________________________________________________

SHORT CHAPTER I KNOW. OVER 550 READS, THIS IS IMPRESSIVE, FOR ME AT LEAST. WE GOT SOME STANA ACTION IN THIS CHAPTER, MORE TO COME LATER. THANKS FOR READING!

-MIKAELA