Chapter 0.2

Cora's sure in this moment, that it's possible to die from a broken heart

Cora's sure in this moment, that it's possible to die from a broken heart. She believes that one by one, the heart strings connecting a person to their soulmate will break whenever they're with someone else, and eventually there will be nothing left connecting the two. Now alone and mourning the loss of a love they never got to explore they fade away to nothing.

Cora feels her whole world stop when she hears his name. Disappointment, angry and sadness, fill her all at once. Unable to stop what she is feeling, Cora's face contorts and the corners of her lips fall towards the floor. She blinks her eyes rapidly when she feels tears prickling her eyes and has difficulty swallowing.

Natasha frowns when she sees the flashes of emotions in Cora's eyes.

"Are you okay, Cora? What's wrong?" Natasha inquires while staring at Cora's blue eyes brimming with unshed tears.

Nodding her head, she quickly made up a lie.

"I'm alright, I'm just sad. You went through a lot. I wish I was there to protect you and James."

Cora sighs in relief when Natasha accepts her lie.

"Sure you'll protect me. With what? Your words again?" reminiscing back to their first meeting. Natasha laughs at Cora's antic and went on painting Cora's nails.

Giggling, Cora pushed Natasha and tackled with her pillow.

====

A few hours later, when Cora know that Natasha's sleeping soundly, she quietly tip-toed her way to kitchen. Opening the refrigerator, she took out a bottle and took a long sip of water while her mind drifted back to her conversations with Natasha. Cora was on the verge of crying again, however, few tears escaped from her eyes.

"When you guys were together; you didn't see each other's soulmate name?" Cora asked, not making eye contact with Nat.

Shrugging her shoulder, Nat replied, "Well, he saw my soulmate's name but I didn't get to see his. He had lost his left arm in an accident quite a while ago, so his soulmate's name was covered by a prosthetic metal arm. However, letter C is still visible."

Quietly Cora asked, "If you get to meet him again, what will you do?"

Natasha hesitated, "I have no idea Cora, he was my very first love and I would love to continue our relationship but on the other hand, I have a soulmate that's waiting for me. The one that I'm supposed to be with."

"Why are you crying?" Sam asked, bringing her back to the present.

"Are you trying to kill me? I could have died from heart attack and I'm still young." Cora scolded. "I'm crying because I realised there's no chocolate in here. Seriously? Tony is the definition of sugar daddy and yet he can't buy chocolate? What the hell are you doing up at 3 in the morning?!" Cora rambled, trying to change the topic.

"First of all, you're a terrible liar, has anyone ever told you that? Second, Tony rarely buys chocolate and when he does its white chocolate and third I'm up because I'm helping Steve with something." Sam replied, flicking her forehead and taking her water bottle out of her hand.

Frowning, Cora asked Sam if she could help, but Sam laughs at her.

"Come on Sam, I've watch a lot of detective shows, I might be helpful," Cora said smiling cheekily, and leaning over to pinch Sam's cheeks. He frowned at Cora's gesture and slap her grabby hands away.

"If I let you will you tell me why were you crying just now?" Sam asked.

"Nope, now bye. Adios amigos! Cora's out. Mic drop." Cora said walking away from Sam

====

The next morning Natasha was on her way to the training facility to train with Clint when she saw Steve looking agitated. She knew that both Steve and Sam were currently looking for Bucky and she was unsure on how she was supposed to feel about it. Sad? Happy? Continue with the relationship? But what about her soulmate? Shaking her head, she continued walking to the training room deciding to leave Steve be.

Meanwhile, Cora was wearing her giraffe onesies and eating chocolate to drown out her sadness. Just this morning, she had felt another heart pain. Rubbing her chest, she took a deep breath and her eyes glistened with tears. She could feel her walls breaking down bit by bit. A Few tears managed to escape from her eyes and thinking back of her conversation with Nat triggered her more and she broke down.

She cried for her parents, for her soulmate and for herself. She felt alone all over again. Rushing to her mirror, she opened up her onesies and stare at the name across her collarbone. James Buchanan Barnes. Angrily, she scratched her skins until it felt raw and blood began seeping out from the scratches. In this moment she wished soulmates didn't exist. Staring at the scratches she then felt regret. She cleaned up her blood, and applied some antiseptic spray. Cringing at the pain, she sucked it up and put a band aid over it.

Her phone began ringing which snapped her out of it. 'Red Hair' flashed across her phone screen letting her know it was Nat calling. She rubbed her eyes and blew her nose, before she picked up her call.

"What's up Nat?! You're disturbing my date with Netflix." Cora chimed, making sure Natasha wouldn't be suspicious of her husky voice.

"We're hanging out in the tower tonight. So, come here now and bring some of your pyjamas and a change of clothes. You're staying here." Natasha ordered not giving Cora a chance to reply before she hangs up her phone leaving Cora with no choice but to go.

======

Don't forget to comment and vote guys.