Chapter 12

"Thank you for this." Carrie wrapped her arms around her husband who was grilling burgers outside.

"You're most certainly welcome." He cooed, turning around and giving her tiny body a squeeze.

"I hope you're hungry, we've got a lot of food." Mike laughed.

"Starving" she giggled. "Is it almost ready?"

"Yep! If y'all could go inside and get all the stuff in the fridge and bring it out here that would be great."

"Okay!" She smiled, going over to get Ivey and her mom to help her.

The three brought out all the condiments, sides, and chips and put them in the middle of the table Mike had set up.

Everyone sat down and waited for Mike to bring the tray of burgers over.

"And of course a veggie burger for the birthday girl." Mike smiled, setting Carrie's special burger on her plate.

"Why thank you." Carrie smiled back as he sat down beside her.

Everyone bowed their heads and held hands while Mike prayed.

"Dear Lord, thank you for this beautiful day and giving us the opportunity to celebrate such a wonderful occasion together. Thank you for giving us another year with our sweet Carrie and helping her through this hard time. Help her to continue to recover and to always remember we're there to help her and so are you. In Jesus's name we pray, Amen."

Carrie smiled at her husband, tears brimming on the edge of her eyes.

"I love you." She whispered, squeezing his hand.

"I love you too." Mike smiled.

"Before we eat, I just want to say thank you guys so so so much. I don't know what I'd do without you and I don't think I could have made it through the past month without your support and-" Carrie spoke, her voice cracking with tears.

"I'm sorry." She laughed. Her voice got high and squeaky as she cried. "I'm just so lucky. I love you guys so much."

"We love you too Carrie." Ivey smiled.

"To Carrie." Mark raised his glass, everyone else following suit.

"Y'all are the greatest." The blonde gushed. "Now let's eat!"

Everyone dug in and enjoyed catching up over a delicious meal outside on one of the first warm days of the year.

Without Carrie even noticing, Ivey snuck off when everyone had finished to go get the cake she'd made.

On cue, everyone started singing happy birthday while she walked out and put the cake in front of Carrie.

"Oh gosh." Carrie blushed, putting her hand over her mouth as they sang.

"Make a wish babe."

Carrie shut her eyes and blew out the candles, wishing for this moment to never end.