Chapter 22

"Care honey wake up" Mike gently shook his wife who had fallen asleep in his lap on the ride to the hotel. They hadn't exchanged a single word since they'd gotten in the car. Carrie had curled up against him as soon as they headed off and remained silent until she finally fell asleep.

"Where are we?" Carrie sat up and rubbed her eyes.

"A little town in Alabama." Mike told her.

"Oh." She mumbled, sitting up and straightening her shirt.

"Let's go." Mike kissed the side of Carrie's head, grabbing her hand and squeezing it.

Carrie hesitantly crawled out of the car behind Mike, clinging to him as they walked into the hotel.

Officer Clark led them into the hotel quickly and up to their suite.

"I'll be outside on watch until 2am and then Officer Sheppard will be here until morning. There's also an officer in the parking lot on watch as well. You're very protected and safe I assure you." He said, giving Mike the key to their room.

"Thank you." Mike shook his hand then turned to open the room.

Carrie walked in after Mike, her arms crossed tightly against her chest. She put her purse  down on the table and sat on the edge of the bed.

Mike looked at his wife. She stared at the floor, lost in thought. It crushed him. He was terrified but he knew he had to be strong for her. He couldn't show any weakness or she's lose the last little bit of sanity she had.

Sighing, Mike sat down beside her and took her hand.

"I'm so scared Mike." Carrie mumbled almost inaudibly.

Mike pulled her into his arms, feeling her grip his shirt as tears started streaming down her face.

"Shh, shhh" Mike rubbed her back and held her tight against him. "I know, I know."

"I can't go through that again, I can't Mike I can't" she sobbed uncontrollably.

Mike's heart was shattering into pieces as his wife's whole body shook in his arms. Tears had filled his eyes. All he wanted was to take the hurt away, to protect her from him, from everything.

"Look at me sweetheart." Mike pulled her away, taking both her hands in his and looking into her hurting eyes.

"He's not going to hurt you again. He's never going to lay a hand on you again, I promise. I know this is scary, this is scary for me too. But it's the safest option we have to keep you safe." Mike tried to sound convincing, but his voice cracked halfway through and he knew she'd heard it.

Carrie opened her mouth to speak, but when nothing came out Mike spoke again.

"Do you trust me?"

"Yes." Carrie murmured, faintly nodding her head.

"As long as you're with me, he's never going to touch you again. I promise." Mike offered her a small reassuring smile, using his thumb to wipe the tears off her face.

Carrie nodded, squeezing Mike's hand.

"I wanna talk to my mom." Carrie mumbled after a few minutes of silence.