Chapter 9

I peddled my way through the street. School had just finished, and I plan to go somewhere today. It's nowhere special, if that's what you're thinking. I am going there just because I have nothing better to do, and that my mom won't be back till later in the evening.

As I looked around, it was pretty obvious that autumn is already here. I watched as the colored leaves dance their way through the air to the ground. But, some stray leaf somehow gets stuck in-between my lips, totally ruining the moment. I blew it off, and focused only on the road instead. Not long after, I arrived at my destination.

I stood on the parking space of a restaurant called "World Café". It's kind of a cheesy name, but it's actually a very unique restaurant. Every week, the restaurant changes its menu to that of a different country. Kind of costly, but I heard the owner loves to try out delicacies from around the world, and that's why he made this restaurant but, I think he just has a lot of money to burn. But, if you're thinking I am actually going to eat here, you're wrong. Actually, the reason I am here is because, I work part-time here.

I have been working as a part-time waiter here ever since the new school year had started. Since my mom's new job involves her going home at a late hour, and that I have no one to be with at home, I decided to do something in my free time. I could have just done what other teens would do; like play games, or hang out with friends, or go out with someone. But, I decided I wanted to do something different. I don't like to fade in, I want to stand out. Though, I am not parking my bike here. It's inconvenient, but employees must park their bikes at the employee entrance.

The road to it is quite narrow, but just wide enough for me to walk through. Though, I have to be careful not to let my bike rub on the rough concrete walls on both my sides.The backdoor is not that dark yet, since the sun is still setting. The door's color turned orange due to the light. As I walked closer, I noticed there was a girl standing there, as if she was waiting for someone to come. "I...um...I....is.....um" I could only hear a faint mumble. She looked like an innocent little kitten that wandered too far from its mom. Her long, black hair was neatly tied to a pony tail. She looked a bit immature, but her uniform is the winter uniform of the only girls-only school in the district, "Saint Claire High". There was also a distinctive pink heart hair-clip that keeps her bangs from covering her face. I know we have never met before, but I wonder why I have that feeling in my gut that I know her from somewhere.

"Um, do you need any help?" I asked.

And, as if it was her que, she straightened her back, and tried to act as natural as possible, "Ah! Yes, I do need help! M-my name i-is Rikka! I-I am the ne-new employee here!" She replied.

She tried her best, but her nervousness still made her stutter.

"Oh, you must be the new employee. The manager told me about you." I replied.

I looked at her face, waiting for her reaction. But, she could barely make eye contact, so I shouldn't expect her to say anything.I turned to the door behind me, and unlocked it. I thought for a moment if I can trust this girl. She seems harmless, but is she really the new employee here? Well, I hope I won't regret trusting her.

I headed inside. Since it's still early, there wasn't anyone else except us. Usually, the chef's would come first and unlock the door for the others. Though, there are days that they come late, and today must be one of those days. Luckily, I am one of the few waiters that has a key, meaning I could open the door.

The kitchen looks eerie, especially with the lights off. The sound of the refrigerator motor was making my skin crawl, so I quickly switched on the lights. I looked down to my feet, since there sometimes are some bugs and rodents sneaking inside when someone opens the door. I don't want her to see one, since I bet she would start screaming. And when that happens, I might be accused for rape and get arrested. Luckily, there weren't any today. So, I signaled her to get in.