4//

By the time the sun was settled on the horizon, I had spent my afternoon with Matthew and his friends, Chris and Dom, playing a game of football. I never really enjoyed myself as much I did today and it made me feel a whole lot better than going to the therapist and talking my feelings out to her.

We now sat on the field, watching the slowly fading sunlight wash over our faces and hide behind the buildings in front of us. Dom started up a conversation between the four of us but I kept my mouth shut until Matthew grabbed my attention away from the sky. They all looked at me, waiting for something to happen or for me to speak.

"Yeah?" I asked, hoping they would fill me in on what they were talking about. Chris told me it was about school and classes. "I-I don't think I'll be going to Teignmouth for school. My dad wants me back with him by the beginning of fall to sign up for classes." Matt frowned at me and groan as he leaned his head back, making me laugh.

"You know school would be better with you around. No class would be boring if we could talk to you the whole time," Matt responded as he blushed a light shade of red and looked at his friends for reassurance. They all nodded their heads in agreement as it was now my turn to blush. "It's not bad either, it's just that the days and months and years go by so slow."

"I'll see what my dad and aunt have to say about it. Maybe they'll let me if I say I met some new friends," I smiled at them all as I heard the church clock ring across the town. Everyone glanced in that direction as we noticed just half of the sun peaking out of the ground. "I gotta go. I had... I had fun." Fun, that's a new word to me.

"Are you doing anything tomorrow?" Matthew asked as he stood up with me and walked to the sidewalk. I shook my head as I stopped and turned around to look at him. "You want to come with us to practice some music? It's just at my house if your parents ask." I smiled lightly at him and nodded my head in response as I saw Dom and Chris talking to one another with their backs turned to us.

"Yeah, that sounds good, but do you think that we could maybe meet up her first. I don't really know Teignmouth well," I said shyly as I looked away from the two boys and into Matts eyes. I've never noticed how much color was in them, or his hair, it's so dark. "I'll see you tomorrow, I guess." He waved to me as I crossed the street and waved back, making sure he caught a glimpse of the smile on my lips.

*•*•*•*

By the time I had gotten back to aunt Gail's house, she was cooking dinner for the both of us. I walked through the front door and already smelled the aroma of garlic and pizza sauce coming out of the kitchen, where she was standing with plates and silverware for me to set on the table.

"So, how are you liking Teignmouth?" I heard Gail ask as I took off my shoes and jacket and set my music player on the table beside the entrance to the living room. "Making new friends? Maybe even a boy friend?" She said it ever slowly to make sure I didn't mix up what she said with boyfriend, she knew well enough not to bring up boys with me.

"Good, I guess," I said apprehensively as I grabbed the plates she held out to me. "I mean, I met a boy and he introduced me to his friends. They're great too." Gail nodded her head and went back to the kitchen as I placed the plates in front of the chairs that we were going to sit in.

"Was he that boy from the medical centre?" Gail asked as I hummed back to her. "Speaking of the centre, how has therapy been going? You feeling better?" I could hear a change in her voice as I noticed she knew something I hadn't told her yet.

"Actually, it's good and I'm feeling better too. I was hoping to finish soon," I said as I stopped what I was doing and looked into the kitchen from where I was standing. "You wouldn't have to pay anymore and I can go back to dad and Tucker too." I could see Gail hunched over the counter, taking in deep breaths from her nose and releasing heavily from her mouth.

"Well, that's great. So, today, I had gone to the centre to pay for our medical bill and guess what the receptionist had told me? We didn't have to pay, cause you haven't been in at all this week to see the therapist," Gail said as she stood up and walked out of the kitchen, coming into the dining room where I stood with my head down. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I have been. I've been telling you and dad that I don't need any of this anymore. I'm fine, I'm better, and I'm surviving," I responded finally lifting my head and seeing tears at the edge of my aunts eyes. "It doesn't help anyways. Therapy is just an excuse for me to be selfish. I give false reasons and feelings to her so I could get it over with as soon as possible."

"Val, I just want to see you better..."

"And you can if you give me space and stop trying to help. I don't need this! It just adds to what I've been feeling for years and it's not helping," I fought back as I saw her set her jaw, like she was ready to yell back. "Let me figure it out on my own." Storming out of the dining room, I went to my room and laid on my bed, hoping that this pain will end soon.