8//

A plain black dress lays across the kitchen table as Gail picked it up and held it to my body frame, measuring it with her eyes to see if it would fit me for the day. Dad expected us to dress up for a visit to mothers grave and a dinner later just outside of Devon every time we go to see her each month.

"That Matthew boy will be coming, yes?" Gail questioned as she safety pinned the back of the dress to make it fit around my chest. I hummed lightly as I picked at my stockings that were sticking to my skin uncomfortably. "Do you like him? As in a friendship kind of way?"

"You are very eager to know stuff today, aunt Gail. I like Matt's company and I think he feels the same. It helps to have him around when I'm not feeling good," I stated as Gail held the dress back up and made me try it on. "I just hope dad doesn't scare him away... or mom. She always cared who I was around with."

"They'll like the kid, trust me, sweetheart. If I do then you know your mother will, and that's all that matters, right?" I nodded my head as I situated the straps on my shoulders. "Brad just wants you to be happy and when he sees how Matthew makes you happy then he'll let you stay; maybe." Gail grinned slyly at me as she stepped out of the dinning room and into the hallway, telling me to get the door as the bell rung.

"Hey, Matt," I said opening the door as he stood there in a dress shirt and pants, getting the memo I told him yesterday. "Come in, my family isn't all here yet so you're gonna have to wait, if that's okay?" He was fine with it as I lead him to the living room and let him sit there as I finished fixing the dress Gail had me wear.

"Val, bring the boy in here. He's your guest!" I heard Gail call from the end of the hallway as she looked into the living room and saw him just sitting there. Matthew must have heard her yell to me for he came into the dining room and stood beside me as I reached for the zipper in the back of the dress.

"I got it. It looks real nice on you, Valerie," Matt said zipping it up for me as I felt a light blush cover my face and seeing it cross his too. "Your family cares a lot for you if they come and visit every weekend?" I shrugged my shoulders in response and told him it was only because of my mothers gravesite.

"My dad wants it to be taken care of on a monthly basis so he just comes down with my brother and step-mother and sees me as well," I explained as Gail entered the room and placed a hand full of safety pins on the table in front of me. "It could be worse, I mean they could never care to see me at all."

"Hello, Matthew. You know they do care for you," Gail said greeting the boy to the right of me then pinned the rest of the dress up. I told her Tucker doesn't even know I'm here for therapy. "Your brother doesn't need to know that, he just needs to know that you're okay. Yes?" I nodded my head and looked at Matt as he stared back at me.

"If it helps any, my parents kinda push me away too," I laughed lightly at his comment and I saw a smile spread across his face. "Though, it's good to have people around to pick you up when you need it the most." Gail placed her hand on my shoulder, saying she was done and headed upstairs to get ready herself.

"Thanks for coming with me, Matt. Hopefully my dad will let me stay in Teignmouth once he sees how happy you make me," I said pulling out a chair and sitting in it as Matthew did the same. He said that if it doesn't work then he'll make efforts to try and talk to me whenever. "You don't need too. You're busy, I'm busy. There's also the band that is so good."

"You're more important right now," Matt replied like he really meant it. "How you are feeling and doing is at the top of the list for me. I don't want to see you get sucked back into that dark area again, even if I only saw the end of it all."

Then, the doorbell rang and I stood up to go to the door to meet my family. Susanna stood there with Tucker at her side, holding onto his hand and giving me a slight glare that disappeared as soon as dad came up behind her. He smiled at me and stepped into the house as his wife and son followed him. Tucker let go of Susanna's hand and reached for mine as we migrated into the dining room where Gail stood with Matthew at the table.

"Brad, Susanna, how was the ride here?" Gail started a conversation with them as I placed the little child on the chair I was sitting in earlier. My dad said that we were going to leave soon then he finally noticed Matt standing behind me as he shuffled his feet uncomfortably. "This is Valerie's friend."

"Matthew, this is my dad and Susanna," I introduced him to my family as he nodded his head in response. "And dad this is Matt. He's going to be coming with us if that's okay." I could tell he was hesitant as he looked between me and the boy and seeing how I was already talking more than I did before.

"Yes, okay, but we should be going," dad granted as he grabbed Susanna's hand and kissed my head before leaving the dining room. "Gail could you take Val and her friend. We have not seats for them." Taking Tucker out of the chair, I place him on the floor beside me and glanced back at Matt who was talking with Gail.

It surprised me that she wanted to chat with him before we left because she never really involved herself in my personal matters, she only ever did when it was important.