1864: Charlottetown Conference

"I'm just saying, lassies, we could benefit from a Maritime Union," Nova Scotia states, his bright blue eyes focused on a point in the distance of their usual meeting place, a glass of alcohol clutched in his hand. "Join the three of us together and we could actually get something done," he continues. "It's not like Québec and Ontario—" He cuts himself off to laugh. "Sorry, Canada East and West. It's not like they're getting anything done. We could take charge."

"I suppose..." New Brunswick murmurs, fiddling with the loose strings at the front of her dress, her head tilted to face her feet. "It does sound nice. You and PEI are already siblings, so I would be joining you?"

"We would make it more official, obviously?" Prince Edward Island inquires, casting a quick glance to her older brother over the lip of her own glass. "I do like the idea of actually taking charge. Do you think Newfoundland would be interested?"

"I doubt it, but it's worth the shot, I say!" Nova Scotia claims, winking at both ladies and tilting his drink towards each of them in turn.

They drink together, not noticing the approaching figure until a hand touches Nova Scotia's shoulder. All three Atlantic provinces jump in place, Nova Scotia nearly spilling his drink onto his little sister. He spins around to see Canada looking back at them, his face red.

"O-Oh, sorry, didn't mean to scare you," Canada apologizes, brushing out his coat just because his hands need something to do. "Hey, uh...could my province be included in those negotiations, by any chance?"

Prince Edward Island's eyes widen slightly whilst New Brunswick makes a tiny gasping noise. Nova Scotia arches an eyebrow as a hesitant smile crosses his freckled face.

"You want to join up?" he clarifies. "And by you...it's all three of you?"

"My boss told me that I should bring it up," Canada mumbles, his face turning a shade pinker at the words. "I, as the main voice of the Province of Canada, am supposed to ask. It could fix a lot of problems."

"You think so?" Prince Edward Island asks. She smiles lightly and takes a dainty sip of her drink. "I don't see the harm in it. Nova, NB, the request can get channeled through Monck and the Colonial Office, just to make sure."

"That sounds fine," New Brunswick murmurs. "Canada...will Monsieur Québec be there?" she adds, her cheeks gaining a bit more colour.

Canada opens his mouth to answer, but is interrupted. "If he is, West must be coming too," Nova Scotia states as his nose wrinkles slightly. "Ontario will behave himself, won't he? His boss will be there?"

"Yes, as will mine, Québec's, and all of yours hopefully." Canada offers a soft smile. "Britain will be attending only to introduce some of his colonies to me, but...they won't be involved in the negotiations."

"Well then, a toast to prosperity in the future of these great colonies," Prince Edward Island says, lifting her glass and giving Canada a pointed look. Her red hair rustles in the breeze. "Hopefully, a soon to be great nation."

They cheers. Canada's heart pounds as excitement floods him. A nation, he thinks. A NATION!

----------

"Alright, are you two ready?" Britain asks.

It is September 1, 1864, the day of the Charlottetown Conference. Standing before Britain is an elegant hall filled to the brim with music and the ringing of laughter. It's an enticing spectacle.