Chapter 14

My father walked out to the living room after a few moments.

"Do you want dinner?" he asked.

"I'm not hungry," I said in a monotone voice.

"Caley, we don't have to make this difficult," he said. I looked up at him from where I was sitting on the couch.

"Why is always me that's making things difficult? You don't think you made any of this difficult for me?" I asked. I saw his face darken and his eyes sadden.

"I know that you still haven't forgiven me for walking out on you and your mother, but one day, it will all make sense. For now, it's best that you don't ask questions about my decisions. The things I did before were for good reason," he explained.

"Was it a better reason than staying and helping your dying wife? Was it a better reason than helping to raise your only daughter?" I spat, my voice getting louder, angrier. He closed his eyes and I could see him trying to calm himself down. I knew my words stung, but so did what he had done to us. It's what he deserved.

"You need to understand that I cared about you and your mother more than you can imagine," he told me, sitting down on the couch across from me.

"Well, walking out on us was a funny way to show it," I replied.

"Like I said before, there was a completely legitimate reason I left," he said.

"Somehow, I can't think of any good reason for a person to walk out on their family," I said, glaring at him. He sighed.

"Can we not talk about this anymore?" he asked.

"Why not? Why won't you ever talk about Mum with me? Why can't you tell me why you did what you did?" I asked him.

"Because I can't, Caley! It's too complicated and you won't understand just yet. You have so much to learn and I need you to focus your energy on that. Magic isn't a joke. It's hard work. And once I think you're ready, I'll tell you," he said.

"And when will you know I'm ready?" I asked.

"When the time comes, that won't be a question to ask," he replied. I frowned at him, but obliged to his request to not ask about Mum. This was only temporary, though. I would ask again eventually. The topic of my mother wasn't one that I was going to forget that easily.

"What do you want for dinner?" he asked me again, getting up from the couch.

"I don't care. Whatever you're having," I replied, looking outside the window again.

"You can go ahead and freshen up inside your room," he said.

"I'm not going in there," I replied flatly.

"You should go look at it again. I'm sure you'll find something different," he said and then he walked into the kitchen. Curiousity got the better of me, so I got up and went into my room. It had completely changed.

I raised my eyebrows, completely shocked at what I was looking at.

I didn't even feel like I was in an apartment anymore. I felt like I had walked into a mansion. In front of me was a decent size square pool. On top of the water was a thick sheet of glass. Surrounding the water was light oak wooden floors. At the other end of the pool was a bed and lampstands. There was a canopy on top of the bed and behind the bed were white curtains that covered the large window in the room.

"What the hell...?" I muttered as I walked in. I immediately felt my tension ebb away as I neared the water. It had a calming effect over me, like always. On the wall was a switch for the lights. Next to the switch was a button that said "pool". I pushed this and gasped when the thick sheet of glass moved away into the floorboards to open up the pool. I let out a sigh of amazement as I neared the pool. I touched my hand into the water and felt a ripple of happiness pass through me.