Chapter 28

Winter passed, turning quickly into a rainy April.

People were bummed about the rain. We would get random hours of sunshine, where all the students would be outside, basking in the sunlight before the clouds came back and downpour ensued. I didn't mind the rain too much. I liked it.

I took to sitting by the ledge in the corridor, where the mist from the rain would kiss my face. I would just sit there, reading or doing homework. It calmed me down and made me feel at peace with my soul.

Classes were going wonderfully. It was like we kicked into high gear. The professors no longer lectured us on the safety of using magic, but instead, actually gave us practical uses for the magic we were learning. It was great.

In Potions, for example, we were learning how to make various healing potions, by grinding up different herbs and pouring in a variety of essences. I didn't like Potions too much. It was much too exact for me. One little mistake and the healing potion could turn into a death potion.

History was amazing. I didn't understand why everyone else didn't enjoy it. I guess it was probably because they had parents that actually told them about magic. My father, on the other, insisted on keeping in the dark.

We learned about who the Aguamentis were, but not in detail. As Valenya had told me, the Aguamentis were the first of the water masters. They were also rumoured to be the first people to be given magical abilities from the Original. But we also learned about the first of the fire, earth, and wind masters, who supposedly came after the Aguamentis. We learned that there had been numerous wars and battles throughout history and through these, the lineage of the Aguamentis has been deteriorating.

It was all so fascinating and I found myself having more questions that before. The Aguamentis were water masters and they had blue eyes. I was definitely one of the descendents then, which meant that my ancestoral lineage was dying out. I was slightly pre-occupied by this and wondered haphazardly if this was almost like magical natural selection.

The thing I didn't understand, however, was why exactly my race was dying out. Why the water masters? What about the others? Why not the fire, earth, or wind masters? Why were my descendents disappearing?

It was a disconcerting thought and I added it to my list of questions that I wondered about.

After History, Spells was my absolute favorite class. I loved learning about the different spells, when to use them, and on occasion, Professor Little would allow us to practice the spells during the class period instead of having to wait until our magic training class.

The magic training class was going well, too. I hadn't told anyone that I had already tried performing magic once before. It seemed that people struggled with concentrating. I had become quite skilled in focusing my mind. I could focus myself in less than five minutes now, while other students stood for thirty minutes at a time to keep from getting distracted.

It felt like magic came so easily to me. Even the teachers were impressed. I was able to successfully master a spell within an hour or two of learning it. I ached to move on from the mundane spells they had us using. I was tired of practising how to turn on and off lights, how to unlock and lock a lock, how to levitate something, and how to change sizes of things. They were boring spells, but they were useful.

I found myself, at night time, instead of getting up to turn the lights out, just muttering the spell, Lumina Non and the lights would turn off. Or, just for fun, I would shrink Abbey's jeans just to see how angry she would get. The first I did it, she wasn't too happy.

"Oh my God! My jeans don't fit anymore!" she shrieked, running out of the washroom. I struggled to keep a straight face.

"I told you not to eat all those cookies all the time," I tutted. She glared at me.