Chapter 12 Part 2

The rest of their summer passed without incident. Auren cried herself to sleep most nights. She wasn't sure she'd ever get over what had happened. During the day, though, Kado kept her so busy with training she had no time think of much else.

Her self-defense training had been intensive. Her foster father pushed her hard, telling her she needed to learn to defend herself in case of a Galvadi invasion. If she was honest with herself, she thought he was being a little paranoid about the imperials, but she decided it was easier to just go along with it. At least it was something that might come in useful someday.

Kado was also insistent she learn every inch of the island. He wanted her to be able to tell which part of the island she was on just by the smells. It wasn't the first time she had been through this, but it was definitely a part of the training she hated. They also set up a few hiding places for her to go to in case something ever happened. Every island they visited has similar places. She doubted she'd ever use them, except for maybe a place to go if she was camping and needed shelter from bad weather. They were stocked with everything she'd need; blankets, candles, wood for a fire, and enough food to last a few weeks if necessary.

Of course it was food that wouldn't spoil, and would keep for months or even years. Most of it was military rations though Auren wasn't sure how he had gotten them. She also learned, often when she thought her foster father was traveling around the islands as a courier, he was actually visiting their different shelters and replenishing their supplies when needed.

As the last days of the trip were upon them, Auren thought about how Kado would soon take her memories and hide them away again. With everything she had experienced that summer, and all she had learned, she doubted she would ever tell anyone she and Kado were shadow stalkers. She felt he knew that too, and it made her wonder what the real reason was for all the secrecy.

"I feel like there is more to it than that," Auren told him, hoping he would be honest with her.

At first she didn't think he would tell her. He sighed and stared off into the distant mountains.

"You are not just any shadow stalker," Kado said.

"What do you mean?"

"Your father was the Foramar of our people. The Foramar is a guide of sorts who leads our people." He went on to explain how Drevin was a former member of the Council of Elders, and he dreamed her father would have a child that would enslave the people of the Serpent Isles. "He calls you the delohi-saqu. While he knows you're alive, he has no idea where you are. I want to keep it that way."

"What will he do if he finds me?"

The look Kado gave her told her everything she needed to know. He would try to kill her. Suddenly her foster father's caution, training and preparations made more sense. If somehow Drevin found out who she was, she would have to remain in hiding for months. Possibly years.

It was too much to think about. Accepting she was a shadow stalker was hard enough. "What if Drevin is right about me?"

"He's not," Kado said in a harsh tone. He sighed and lowered his voice. "Drevin had a reason to hold a grudge against your father. I suspect his dream was born of a desire for revenge, rather than being prophetic. Only the Foramar has the ability to have a true vision."

"Oh."

"Whydon't you sleep? We have to head north tomorrow."