Chapter 12 Part 4

"Why am I not surprised?" Kado said when he opened the door to find Jade standing there.

"I'm glad to see you made it safely home, Sir. I hope your trip went well."

Kado rolled his eyes and motioned for her to come in. She barely made it through the door before Auren wrapped her arms around her friend and gave her a squeeze.

"Missed you," she said.

Jade squeezed back. "Missed you too."

"Not long you two. We just got home and Auren you still need to unpack. School starts tomorrow."

Auren grabbed Jade's hand and pulled her up the stairs to her room. "So how was your ski trip?"

"It was really good. Deakan and his family surprised us by showing up at the lodge a few days after we arrived, so he and I got to spend some time together. The only downside was my brother broke his leg, and we had to leave a couple of days early. How was yours?"

"Fun, but exhausting. I think we hiked every single part of the island, and we climbed and went rafting and all that."

"And the training too, right?"

"Well yeah, but that's not so bad. I actually kind of like some of it. The tracking is fun."

"You have a really weird idea of fun."

"Right, so going down a steep icy mountain on two wooden sticks isn't weird right?"

Jade laughed. "Point taken. You don't seem as happy as you normally do when you get home though."

"Yeah, I don't know what it is. It's like something has ended. Maybe it's because it was our last camping trip. Next year I graduate, and I'll be getting ready to go off to college. I'm going to miss it."

"Well, maybe Kado will surprise you with another adventure next year."

Auren smiled. "Maybe."