Chapter 11 Part 2

Within seconds, Kado surveyed the cavern as he left the shadow world and jumped onto the ledge with the demon. It had been a while since he'd faced one, though, and he had forgotten how fast they could be. It knocked him off the ledge, and he landed on his back on the jagged rocks.

"Are you okay," Auren asked, rushing to his side.

"I'm fine." He pushed himself to his feet hiding a grimace. If she thought he was hurt, she might try to involve herself in confronting the demon, and she was not ready for that. "Stay here."

The demon swiped at him as he leapt back onto the ledge, but Kado was ready for him this time. He maneuvered himself behind the creature and wrapped his arms around it. It must not have liked that because it crushed him between its back and the wall.

"Kado," Auren cried.

As the demon leaned forward to slam him into the wall again, he forced himself to focus on getting to the shadow world rather than worrying about his difficulty in drawing a breath. One he released it back into the shadow world where it belonged, he didn't stick around long enough to watch it go. It was still angry and might follow him back out if he wasn't quick. When he rejoined Auren in the small cavern, she ran to him, concern etched on her face.

"I'm okay," Kado assured her. "I just need a minute."

She looked like she was about to wrap her arms around him when she backed away. "Ugh, you really stink."

Kado rolled his eyes. "Next time I'll let you fight the demon."

"No thanks." The color drained from her face.

He gave her shoulder a pat. "Let's go. We'll head back to the village and see what we can do to help."

They walked quietly for a while. Now that it was over, Auren was sinking into a deep depression, and Kado knew he couldn't allow it.

"Tell me what you're thinking," he said.

Auren shrugged. "You already know what I'm thinking."

"I want you to tell me anyway."

"I want to help those people, but part of me is afraid to go back to the village."

"Why?"

Auren didn't answer right away. She sniffled and wiped her nose on her sleeve, avoiding his gaze.

"Why are you afraid?" Kado asked again.

"I won't be able to face them. It's my fault their friends and family were killed."

"We'll get through it together. It's a way to make amends." He rested a hand on her shoulder.

"I never want to have anything to do with the shadow world again."

Kado sighed. "I wish I could say that was an option for you."

"What do you mean?"

The truth was there were shadow stalkers who had given up their powers, choosing to live among the people of the Serpent Isles. It was rare, but it happened. Auren was different. Kado couldn't explain it, but he knew she would be important to the shadow people one day. It was a destiny that had already been chosen for her by the shadow people, and it wasn't one she could escape no matter what she did. She wouldn't understand that, though, so instead he said, "You're a shadow stalker. The shadow world is part of who you are."

"That doesn't mean I have to travel there."

He'dhave to work with her over time and hope she could move on from what happenedhere.