Epilogue

Drevin sat at his desk reading over reports that had been delivered that morning. Almost everything had been falling into place with his invasion preparations. Only one thing held him back. The identity of the delohi-saqu.

He leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. There were times when he longed for his connection to the shadow world. It had surprised him when the shadow people took his abilities away. It was the Foramar, Zain, who had been the traitor, but he didn't have to worry about him anymore. He would spend the rest of his days locked away in a cell with a recinder around his neck. Not only would he never feel a connection to the shadow world again, but he would never see the light of day either.

One thing Drevin was sure of, the delohi-saqu had survived the invasion on the Dark Isle. Zain insisted both his wife and child had died, but he didn't need his powers to know the older man was lying. After years of torture, he still refused to tell him where the child was. It was infuriating. Maybe it was time for another visit.

It was a short ride to the reconciliation center where Zain was being held. Drevin's subjects recognized his vehicle and immediately fell to their knees, placing their foreheads on the ground as he passed. The Coalition believed him to be evil, but an evil man did not elicit such respect from his people. If only the people of the Coalition weren't so stubborn, they would see his way was better. It was the only way to protect themselves from the real evil that would soon plague their minds.

Drevin had to shake the image out of his head. He tried so hard to protect them all, but he knew he had to accept some losses to save the few who willingly accepted the truth. A man stood in the road shouting. He couldn't hear what was being said, but when the man gave the Coalition salute, he could have guessed. Three of his Dansig Troops bore down on the man with their shock wands, then dragged him off the road. The emperor shook his head sadly. There were always a few who were easily deceived by his enemies.

When he arrived at the reconciliation center, he was greeted by more Dansig saluting him at the main entrance. More of his subjects fell to their knees as he made his way down the corridor. Some were still in training and slow to acknowledge him, so they were roughly pushed to the floor by their guides. They would learn soon enough.

Zain had been brought to one of the interrogation rooms and strapped to an adjustable table that was, at the moment, a forty-five degree angle to the floor. Drevin stood over him. He seemed to have aged ten years in the months since he had seen him last.

"It's been a while, Foramar."

Drevin received no answer, but it didn't surprise him. Zain very rarely spoke to him these days. He very rarely spoke at all. When he did, it was usually to remind them he had no intention on revealing the identity of his child.

"Your child would have had a birthday recently. It's been seventeen years, hasn't it?"

Zain continued to stare at the ceiling as if he were in a vegetative state.

"I can only imagine how difficult it would be to have gone all these years without seeing him. If it were me, I'd wonder if he knew who I was. Or who he is. It's unfair for a child to have to grow up away from his parents that way."

That elicited a snort from the Foramar. So he was paying attention.

"You know, all of this could have been avoided if you had listened to me from the start. When your child comes of age, he will try to take control of the Serpent Isles. Then his evil will spread to the Dark Isle. The people you were born to protect and guide will suffer at your child's hands, and here you are, refusing to put an end to it all."

"The people are suffering at your hands now. What makes you any better?"

"They suffer for a short time to save them from the long term suffering your child would cause them."

Zain didn't answer. His gaze had returned to the ceiling.

"If you would give up your child, I would set you free. You could return to our people on the Dark Isle."

"They are no longer your people."

"No, I suppose not. You saw to that."

"You did that on your own, Drevin. You broke the code and led outsiders to the Dark Isle with the intent on causing harm."

"Something that would not have happened if you had agreed to destroy that evil child of yours when it was born."

"We do not punish innocent children for crimes they have not committed. If we had made a practice of that, Drevin, you would not be standing here today."

It was true that Zain had spared Drevin's life when he had been born. According to the laws of their people, as set by the shadow people, he was not supposed to exist. His parents had mated without the consent of the shadow people. It was well within the Foramar's right to kill him at birth, but he refused. There wasn't a day that went by that the emperor wasn't grateful for Zain's charity, but Drevin wasn't evil because of his parents' wrongdoing. When a shadow stalker had a prophetic dream, however, it was always taken into consideration. He knew the Foramar's decision to ignore his dream was due to a desire to protect his child. It was a decision based on desperation rather than wisdom.

"This isn't about punishment. It's about preventing a tragic future," Drevin said.

"Yes, I should have prevented this tragedy. I should have heeded the words of the shadow people and taken your life that day. It's a decision I will always regret."

Drevinfelt his face heat up with rage. "He is not to sleep until he gives us theidentity of his child. I'm tired of waiting," he told the guides, thenstormed out of the room.