We Reach Our Destination

The monster with the red scaly skin and green, bright eyes, spots us hidden in the tree. It whips around as quickly as a dolphin in distress, it's spiny tail following.
Surprisingly, when I turn to Ryder he seems okay. Like, mentally okay. However, on the other side, here I sit scared half to death.
He draws his knife, and signals for me to stay behind.
His broad muscles flexed as he hurdled over the nearest branch and grabbed another. He let go and hit the ground with a thump. The monster, who's attention was previously focused on me, is now focused on Ryder. The monster focuses its eyes on him, and slowly crawls in his direction.
Until...
The monster pounces.
Ryder falls under the monster's weight. His sword flies out of his hand, landing in a thick patch of bramble.
Before thinking, I quickly climb down the tree silently, and grab the dagger. I jump on the monster, riding it like a bull for some time, before ending the battle with a final stab in the side of its thick neck.
Ryder and I stare at each other for a good couple minutes, too startled to do anything else.
Finally, Ryder speaks, "you... You saved me. You saved my life."
"To be honest, I don't even know what happened really. It was all a blur."
"Well thank you."
"No problem," I reply.
After a few more awkward moments, we begin to weave through the vegetated clearing again. Several hours pass, and by the time we reach a civilized path we are dragging our legs. I look ahead to see a village. It stood tall at bay of ginormous cliff, overlooking miles of torquis sea water. Bleached sunlight ran in and out of  buildings. Crowds of unrecognizable people swarm around, showering us with questions. It was then when Ryder and I finally collapsed in exhaustion.