Prologue

Rianne saw a glimpse of her reflection in the mirror, all pretty and dressed up. She checked her image one last time and grabbed the car keys, rushing to her car.

She had never felt this sense of urgency before. She knew she had to hurry down to a place. There was somewhere she needed to be. Someone was waiting for her. She had to get there, and she had to get there as fast as she could.

She never caught a glimpse of the clock but she knew time was running out.

She needed to hurry.

That someone might no longer be there.

That someone might not wait for her. What was taking me so long? The drive seemed to be taking forever. Was I almost there? How long was the road to my destination? She felt the urgency getting the best of her, making her anxious.

Rianne drove past four red lights and one yellow light, stepping on the gas and accelerating further. She almost hit a car but, fortunately, managed to just elicit loud honking and cursing from the other driver. Nothing could stop her for longer than two seconds and she never thought she could drive this fast.

Then, the ringing of her phone somehow got her all flustered and gushing.

About what?

She did not know but she could feel herself getting all giggly. She stepped on the gas again with nothing in mind but the yearning to reach her destination as fast as possible.

Her phone kept ringing.

She should look to see who was calling. It might be that someone. She should ask that person to wait for her. She was almost there. She took her eyes off the road for a mere second.

BANG!!! BBEEEEEPPP!!!

Rianne heard the loud collision of her car with another vehicle, glass shattering all around her, her head hitting a hard object that she had no way of identifying. She felt herself let out a deep sigh. Her eyes were closed but her ears were alert, allowing her to hear the loud, endless honking of a truck.

The chaos and pain did not stop her from thinking of that someone who was waiting for her.

How could I tell that person to stay put? How could I let that someone know I would be there? She tried to move but couldn’t. She made a mental note to call that someone as soon as she got out of this mess.

She tried to clear her head and concentrate on how to get free but all she could do was listen to the grating honk of the truck’s horn. It lasted for what seemed like five more seconds before it finally faded out.

She felt herself falling into the darkness of the unknown as she opened her car door and hit the ground with a thud.

People around her started clapping. She opened her eyes and realized she was still on the plane from Los Angeles that had just landed in Manila. All the passengers were happy about the smooth landing but the majority of them were overseas foreign workers who were ecstatic to finally be home and see their loved ones.

Rianne, on the other hand, was unsure of what to feel.

Her heart was still pounding. Waking up from that dream always made her paranoid and scared. Even though she dreamed the same dream a million times, it always felt like the first time.

She was finally home but where was she supposed to start?

She tried to remember who that someone was and thought that maybe she should give him, or maybe her, a call but how could I do that if I wasn’t sure if he or she even existed?