Chapter Thirteen

Rianne sat by the counter of the café playing with her phone. She’d been waiting for a call or text from Jason but he has not contacted her. She looked around and noticed the gray, wooden wall and it seemed to have more notes on it than before. Since it was a rather slow day, she had time to read the new notes that had just been posted. The newly written notes in red ink were penned with familiar handwriting.

“Someone misses your smile.”

“This café seemed a little dull without you.”

“Free yourself from pain and just smile.”

“Laugh lines are better than any other lines.”

“Look behind you… maybe you’ll find your smile…”

The last note instinctively made her turn around and a warm, radiant smile greeted her. She was glad to see a familiar face in the café.

“You were looking a little glum today. How about having my signature drink instead? Care for a cranberry kiwi slush?” Ralph said, as he walked to set the plastic jug containing a fruity drink on one of the tables. She was hesitant to join him at first because she knew she would end up talking about her personal life and he might think she was self-absorbed.

In the end, Rianne decided to sit there silently and accompany him. He poured the slush onto a glass that he got for her. She sipped the fruity concoction in silence.

“You may not want to talk to me about your personal problems but… maybe you’d want to let them out some other way,” Ralph said and she nodded enthusiastically.

“How about stepping out with me tonight? There will be a sky lantern lighting at my friend’s subdivision. You might want to write what you’re feeling, put it in those lanterns and let it float up to heaven. Someone up there might read it and help you with whatever your problems are.”

Ralph offered an outlet for her and gave her the most sincere and purest smile she had ever seen.

“That seems like a great idea. I really need to let my emotions out. I wouldn’t want to burst in anger again like I did last night or else I’d end up friendless anytime soon,” Rianne responded.

“All right then. I will pick you up tonight around eight-thirty maybe? Will that be fine with you?”

“That would be good.”

“Okay. I’ll go get us some sky lanterns. See you later.”

She waved him goodbye and couldn’t quite explain what she was feeling. He sure managed to lift her spirits up.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ralph picked Rianne up at exactly eight-thirty that evening. She was excited to write something and light up those sky lanterns. It was her first time to do that and she was very giddy.

They stepped out of the car and into the park. There were already some people setting up their sky lanterns so they hurried and joined in. Ralph handed her the sky lanterns. He wrote only on one and released it. She didn’t get to read what he wrote because she was too busy writing on hers.

“Hey! You didn’t let me read what’s on your lantern,” Rianne said, with my arms crossed.

“Nothing important.”

“Oh come on. I won’t tell anybody.”

“Really. It’s nothing. In time, maybe I will tell you but for now, let’s focus on yours,” he teased.

Rianne let it go. She realized he still wasn’t ready to open up to her. In the meantime, she thought of what to write on her lanterns.

“Who am I? Please help me find myself?”