Chapter Six

I couldn’t stop myself from thinking about Sam. About the gentle curve of his lips, his strong arms, the warmth of his eyes.

The way I had seen him die.

The thing was, when I wasn't in my sleepwalking state, then I was having messed up dreams of little girls that looked like me or worse. One of these dreams was recurring and had plagued since I was about thirteen. It was always the same, a boy (who I now knew as Sam) telling me a choked goodbye before he stepped out in front of a train with a tall dark haired girl with glittering green eyes. No matter how many times I experienced the dream, I couldn't change the outcome.

I didn't want them to die.

At the time, Echo told me that the dream was just my mind telling me how lonely I was. I guessed that she was right, but I had never seen the dark haired boy and girl ever!

Well, until today.

At least... I was so sure that if I had seen him before that I would remember it. But his smell, the way he spoke, his crooked smile, it all felt so familiar. Like a childhood friend that I had forgotten. But that was just inconceivable.

I hadn't seen this guy in real life before!

Had I?

I knew that regardless I had to somehow find a way to see him again. I felt like being around him would help me survive this place. And hopefully I would never have to find out what that long ago dream meant.

“Did you get that?” Dr. Saunders asked stopping and turning around to see if I knew what she was talking about. I shook my head, not having heard a word that she had said.

“I’m taking you to the common room. It’s a place for you children to relax and socialize with each other. Most of the other children go there when they have free time. Other places you are allowed to go will be explained to you later. Basically you have free reign in where you go, unless it’s a restricted area which is prohibited to enter unaccompanied by a senior member of staff. You are required to attend at least one therapy session a day and you may be called for tests and further examination by some of our doctors. Everyone eats together in the canteen at mealtime, unless they have been restricted by a member of staff for some reason.”

She stopped walking and looked to a closed door on the left side of the corridor. I guessed that that had the common room inside. Suddenly, a group of men came marching down the hall wearing black guard uniforms, several had stun guns strapped to their belts. Men and women wearing identically stern expressions. I froze, staring, terrified at what they where going to do. They marched back without as much as a glance towards us. Except for one of the younger looking guards who was at the back of the group. He turned to me and winked, earning a weak smile. These guards where like the ones that I had seen in the foyer, but I didn’t think that there would have been this many? I knew that there would be security, they had a guard tower next to the entrance after all, but I was still shocked.

“Who are they?” I asked, my voice coming out as little more than a whisper.

Dr. Saunders stared at me. “Did no one tell you about the guards?”

I shook my head.

“It’s a high security mental facility; we need something to keep you kids in line. If I where you I would keep out of their way. They take this job incredibly serious.”

“Sure.” I replied, still watching the men until they turned down the hall.

“Right, inside there is the common room, that’s where people usually go when they have free time. Sometimes we have games and stuff inside, but it’s nice for everyone to be able to socialize with each other. I think you’ll like the other children, they are similar in some way to you.” She smiled while I frowned. Of coarse they where similar in some way to me, we where all criminally insane teenagers. “A nurse will come in when dinners ready. I think that’s everything, I’ll talk to you tomorrow and begin your evaluation.”