Chapter Seven

“Kenzi... Kenzi... Kenzi, stop!” A voice shouted, filtering slowly through the fog of my mind. It was panicked and slightly out of breath, yet it made me feel strangely comforted.

Strong arms circled round my waist and with a jolt I stopped running. Instinctively I struggled against whoever was holding on to me.

“It's okay, it's okay, I got you.” The voice said. This time I recognised it as Sam’s. Turning round to see him I tilted my head. “Why are you always in my dreams?” I demanded, almost angry at him for appearing once again in my mind. It was something that morbidly used to bring me comfort, but now that I knew that he was a person in real life, it kind of freaked me out a little, was he just going to die randomly now? Because I couldn't see a train. Did there even need to be a train? Anyway, I liked Sam, so it was probably too strange to be dreaming about him.

The thing that looked like Sam also frowned and I could see a slight blush spread over his face. He looked down, his dark hair falling over his chocolate eyes. “Errr, Kenzi, you aren’t dreaming.” He answered awkwardly.

I froze, feeling my eyes widen and my face get hot. For the first time I looked around. Rain was falling thick and heavy, my pyjamas splattered with mud. I was freezing and not wearing shoes.

“Oh....” I mumbled, looking around frantically. I was in the courtyard outside the institute and by the looks of it, I must have been running towards the high fence that surrounded the building. I shielded my eyes from the floodlights next to the guard tower and wondered if there was anyone in there that could see us. Apart from the blinding light, the sky was black. I didn't know what time it was but it must have been quite late.

I had no idea how I had got outside, in fact it would probably make more sense if this was all a dream. Sam must have seen the confusion written all over my face, because he spoke up. “I think you where sleep walking.” He explained, glancing worriedly towards the guard tower. I was so confused, I didn't even know my way around the institute yet.

“We should go back inside.” He told me, and before I could answer, his arm was on my shoulder and pulling me back towards the building. “There will be guards around, there most likely watching us now, and if they think that we are trying to escape then they'll shoot. So no sudden movements.” He told me quietly, his hand tightening on my shoulder. I shivered, partly from his words and partly from the cold. I wasn't even wearing shoes. I must have literally left my room in the middle of the night. But how did I do that without getting caught? How had I made it all the way out here?

“There you go” Sam said, his voice pulling me from the muddle of my thoughts. I glanced up at him as he pulled off his jacket and put it round my shoulders.

“But you'll get wet!” I protested.

“You look cold, and I think I can survive a little rain.” He replied. We weren’t far away from the building now, but I could see that Sam was directing me a way that wasn't the same way that I had arrived earlier. We weren’t going to go through the foyer. Sam grinned and shook his dark hair, droplets flying everywhere. He turned his head back to the guard tower and laughed. “I think we can run in now.”

I smiled back and ran with him, slipping on the muddy ground as I did so. It was all so surreal, this was definitely a dream.

Sam lead me towards another door, one that didn't go to the foyer. It was round the back of the building and was left open, possibly from him following me out here?

We entered quickly to get undercover from the rain, with Sam shutting the metal door behind us, clicking as it locked.

“Where are we?” I wondered aloud. Looking around at the room.