Chapter TwentyThree

I was walking down the corridors by my self, trying to clear my mind.
I had split up from Chess and Jake at the lunch hall, suddenly feeling like I was going to blow chunks everywhere. That  may or may not have had much to do with Rachel, but I was trying to not focus on it anymore. Chess was distracted herself, so she let me go. She wasn’t feeling too good herself and she needed some time alone with Jake. I didn’t know how long they would remain together for, but I was sure that they where talking about our plans for escape. Neither of them appeared to be fully believing that our plan could work. 
And to be honest, I wasn’t a hundred percent sure myself.
My head was banging. It was feeling worse than ever. And all I could think about was the effects of the MLP medication. Maybe I should go to one of the doctors, but I had no idea who I could trust any more. I sighed as I stopped in front of a window, looking outside at the sleet that was bashing hard against the glass. Had I really only been here for a few days? It felt like so much longer. As I rubbed the back of my neck I became aware of someone watching me. Slowly I turned to see some one watching me.
It was the little girl that looked like me. 
Mia. 
What do you want? I asked her. I wasn't in the mood to be talking to some little kid from a world that doesn't exist except in my mind. 
“I want you to stop feeling so sorry for yourself” She snapped, looking up at me through her fringe. Her eyes looked darker than usual. Did that mean something? I didn't know. “You need to look at the bigger picture and stop just focusing on you.”
I wasn't focusing on myself, I was focusing on her. 
Was it just me or did she look different? 
Yeah, and she sounded different too. 
I was about to question her about it when a guard suddenly grabbed me. I was about to fight back, fearing the worst of their intent. But when they spoke I forced myself to remain docile and do as they say. “All patients must return to their room. This is a lock down.”
“Why? What's going on?” I asked him as he led me towards the stairs. 
I realized that this was one of the guards from the other night. He was younger and had a splash of brown freckles over his face. 
“There’s a riot going on in the lunch hall.”
“What? Why?” I exclaimed. 
“Just go back to your room okay, anyone caught out will be punished.”
"-Hey, Kenzi! What's going on?" A voice I knew all too well said. I turned round to see Sam walking towards us.
"Hey," the young guard said, grabbing my arm. "Just make sure that you get yourselves back to your room before anyone See's you guys, you don't want to be getting in trouble now. They'll take you down to the basement if they get half a chance." He warned, not looking away from me.
I stared at him wordlessly, not knowing how I should react to him.
Then, as Sam got close, the guard moved away before I could react.
"What's going on?" I asked Sam, shaking away all the suspicion I had felt. He was out of breath and looked worried- that was not a good sign.
"There was a riot in the lunch hall." He said,checking behind me to see where the guard was going. he turned back to me and touched my shoulder gently."Hey, are you alright?"
"Yeah, I'm fine, what do you me by riot? And where's Adam anyway?"
"Well, full on patients vs guards meltdown, and Adam went to find you… At least he was until he got involved with all that!"
"Oh god! How did get into that? What's happening with him now?"
I don't know. I only caught a glimpse of him in the canteen,  before the guards came in and sanctioned everyone from going near the riot. They didn't want it getting any bigger than it already was. But it didn't look like he was in serious trouble. They where taking everyone in serious trouble straight to solitary, everyone else was just getting a slap on the wrist by Mr Blake."
"Do you think he'll be alright, for tomorrow afternoon?"
"I sure hope so. I hate to say it, but I don't think that we'll be able to do it without him, we'll need the man power."
"Me too. We need as many people out of this place as we can."
He nodded, smiling at me, the skin between his eyes crinkling.
"It'll be fine, I promise. Can I walk you back to your room?" He asked, giving me that crooked smile that made my knees feel weak and my heart beat faster.
I was starting to equally love and hate him for how he made me feel.
"Fine." I sighed, grinning back at him, swinging my arms. We walked in silence back to the dorms. Glad that we had gotten back without getting into any sort of trouble. 
I left him at my door, going inside to find my room empty.
Oh, no! Chess was last in the lunch room, I hoped that she wasn't in trouble.
"The room isn't empty stupid, it can never be empty while you have me!" A small, indignant voice spoke up from behind me. It was echo, of course it was, it was always was.