songs that remind me of you

The next few days are the same. Doctors say she’s getting better, and she might wake up soon. They said if we play some of her favourite music it might do something. It’s worth a shot right? So I think of all the times I’ve been with her, what she’s listened to. I make a playlist of songs that remind me of her and what we are. You know, love songs mostly.

Mariah Carey Beautiful, One Direction Irresistible, Jason Derulo The Other Side, Ariana Grande Almost Is Never Enough, Timeflies I choose You, Dashboard Confessional Stolen, Train This Ain’t Goodbye, Christina Perri A Thousand Years, One Direction Little Things, Lady Antebellum Can’t Take My Eyes Off You.

All these remind me of her. I leave it by her bed and let her family see her. I’m not the only one who misses her. When I get to the entrance of the hospital, paparazzi are everywhere. I update them on Chantel, telling them that she’s still in her coma, and walk to my car.

I change my clothes and have little to eat. I can’t eat when the person I love is in hospital. Driver jumps up onto my lap, and we sit there, waiting for time to pass by. When an hour passes, I go back to stay with Chantel.

As soon as I reach her room, my eyes begin to fill up. She sits there with Daniel in her arms, talking to him. She hugs him tight, fearing that she will lose him, or he’ll lose her. I must have been lost in thought because she sends Daniel to drag me in. I reach her and hug her for eternity. “There is no way I’m letting you go again” I whisper, “I love you too much to let anything happen to you.” By now Daniel has gone with Curtis somewhere, leaving just me and Chantel.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry for being the jerk I was to you. Sophie is a bitch and is out of my life. I want you back Chantel, I’ve missed you. I can’t believe what I did. I had Sam and Jade, even Driver looking disappointed at me. I-“ she cuts me off.

“Josh? Shut up. I don’t care about that. I’m with you right now. I’ve missed you too. I love you ok? I was going to tell you when I got back from the UK but…” she trails off. “Yeah I know. But that doesn’t matter because I love you too.” I place my hands on her cheeks and kiss her softly. Her lips are soft, just like I thought. We rest our foreheads together, catching our breaths.

It’s not until Emilie comes into the room that we pull apart. “Can you guys get a room?” she whines. “We had one before you came in” Chantel retorts. I laugh and hug her to my side. Emilie sits on the other side and hugs her sister. We look like a family I think to myself. I can imagine Chantel being a mum. Running around in the garden with our kids. Our kids? I haven’t even asked her to be my girlfriend yet! But I’m aloud to think about it aren’t I?

“So what woke you up?” Emilie asks. “The music. I choose you by Timeflies.” She looks at me and smiles. “Chantel I need to ask you-“ “Yes. The answer is yes.” Her smile goes even wider as I lean in to kiss her. “I love you Josh” she whispers. “I love you too.”

********

“Right. Have you got everything?” I ask as I push her in a wheelchair to the front desk. “Yes, I’m just glad to get out of here. I don’t even need a wheelchair” she whines. “I know, but its hospital rules. You can always push me” I joke. “You and your cute ass, no chance” she scoffs.

She signs the papers and we go to my car. First we go to hers and get some clothes. The doctors said she needs someone with her, and when I offered, she said she wanted to stay at mine because I have a better house. As we pack some stuff I say, “You could always bring all your stuff.” She looks at me questionably. “I know we’ve just got together, but think about it. Once you stay at mine for however long, you won’t want to leave. And you’re always saying how much you hate your place.”

She thinks for a moment. “I guess, I mean I do miss Driver, but that’s the only reason” she smiles. “So that’s a yes?” you would think I was a kid in a candy store. “That’s a yes, it’s not like we’re going to fast or anything. And you’re right, I love your place to much.” She walks over and wraps her arms around my neck. “Love doesn’t have a speed limit, so it can go as fast as it wants” she says and hug her. We continue to pack all her clothes and toiletries, and decide to sort out everything else tomorrow.

I’m glad I’ve got her back.