Real?

As I went into my family's motel room for our last nights stay in Chicago, I was sad to let Chloe go. I plop down on my bed and let out a huge exhale of delight. My have art still fluttering from Chloe's kisses. Did that really happen? Did I really kiss Chloe? If this is a dream, wake me up now. I think about the car ride back. I wanted the kisses to be real. At the same time though, it didn't feel right. It didn't feel right to kiss someone, after I'd just saved them. It didn't seem honest when she said she loved me. It didn't feel like it was real.

I lay there thinking about this when I hear my phone go off. *TING!* the text tone sounds. I get up and walk over to my jacket, and get my phone out of my pocket. Chloe texted me. I slide open the device and it unlocks. I open my messaging app and look at what she sent.

-written in text format-

Chloe: "hey Tyler, sorry if the car ride back was weird, but I couldn't keep myself from kissing you.. I didn't mean for it to be weird. It just turned out that way...."

Tyler: "uhh it's okay... It wasn't that weird, more shocking."

C: "oh"

T: "yeah... I thought about that.... Was it real?"

C: "what do you mean? The kiss??? Of course it was real."

T: "oh.. It just seemed to feel, kind of fake. Like fake emotions."

C: " ... Tyler it was real. I'm sure of it. I love you Tyler."

I didn't respond. It felt like a lie. 

C: " hello?.... Tyler??????????"

T: "let's meet at the ice cream shoppe, tonight after hours. When our parents are asleep. I need to talk to you in person." I was nervous sending this that she would think something weird.

C: "....ok?"

-texts finished-

I wait patiently at the ice cream shoppe for Chloe to arrive. It's hours later, and the air is frigid. Im sitting inside the parlor, because it's apparently open for twenty four hours. The man at the counter walks up to me and he places a cup of hot tea in front of me. 

"On the house. Don't worry about it." He says. "My name is Dale, nice to meet you."

I smirk at his act of kindness. "Thanks. I'm Tyler by the way." It is the same man I saw earlier when Chloe almost got hit. I sip on my tea.

"You waiting for someone kid? You've been looking out the window for quite some time now." Dale asked. He gestured out the window at the motel. "Yea I am." I answered his question, then proceeded to drink my tea. I gazed out the window into the night sky. It's December, and there's a little snow here and there on the ground. I stare for a couple of minutes, and finally see Chloe gazing at her phone and walking out the door of her motel room.