2. You Can't Escape Now

I pulled up my black leggings while shifting the hem of my ebony sweatshirt over them. I then put on running shoes and placed my phone in my pocket.

It may seem like a lot of dark hues for a team that's known for color, but I'd rather not risk being seen.

"Where are you going?" My mother asked as she walked past my bedroom with a basket full of dirty laundry in her hands. She was the hardest person to lie to. Something about her glare and the look in her eyes made me want to start crying. 

Maybe she could get me out of all of this. Then again, she could also go to the police with anything that I tell her. 

"Just to study with Nathan."

"This late at night?"

"I forgot I had a test tomorrow. It's kind of urgent."

"And why are you wearing all black?"

I looked down at my outfit and looked back up at her with my eyes wide.

"Oh, I didn't even notice! Isn't that funny," I laughed while pretending to look through my dresser.

She cocked her head to the side and looked at me in a way that she often did when I was younger and guilty. I always hated when she made that face, because I could never resist it. But this time I had to.

"It's fine, mom. I'll be back later. I promise."

Her concern faded to a smile before she nodded at me and told be to be safe. Then, she simply walked away without a further investigation. I let out a breath and rolled up the sleeves of my sweatshirt. That was the first time I've ever gotten past my mom's convincing glare. 

I grabbed my backpack and threw it over my shoulder as I left my room and closed the door behind myself. I quietly went out the backdoor and ran across my yard while my backpack bounced against me with each forceful step I took. The old abandoned house is almost right behind my house, which is quite terrifying, but also very convenient for me.

I carefully walked over the last path in the ground that had been forming over the years, and arrived at the front of the house. I stared up and watched as the shutters creaked and the curtains inside laid still. I got chills as I examined the chipped paint and cracked wood around the structure.

I took a small step onto the deck and hoisted the rest of my body up and onto the splintering wood. I carefully walked across the platforms until I got to the front door.

They never told me that I had to knock, but they also never told me to let myself in. So, I raised a knuckle and tapped slightly on the cold wood. No answer.

I grabbed the brass door knob and turned it slowly to prevent the hinges from squeaking. I stepped inside and closed the front door behind myself. Small bits of dusk flew across the air in arrays. They were only noticeable in the small spots where the moon lit up the room.

I took a shaky breath and looked around while I grasped my wrist. I could feel my pulse busting at my veins at every passing moment.

"Hello?" I called out in a whisper. No response.

I took another step closer but was cut short when something cold wrapped around my face in a quick swoop, making me unable to scream or cry. Ropes were tied tightly around my wrists and ankles, leaving feelings of burns and splinters from the twine. I was swiftly hoisted up into the air and left with only the sound of footsteps and my mind began to fog with fear.

My carried body tilted as I was brought upstairs, and my only fear at that point was being dropped for amusement. But Nobody dropped me. Instead, I was placed in a cold, metal chair and wrapped with yet another rope around my body, securing me down and preventing me from moving.