My Saving Grace: Chapter 1

Hello! This is my first time to write a story, a fanfic even. I'm so sorry if it's boring, or if the story's going too slow. :c Feel free to comment and suggest anything. I have not read any other The Maine fanfics, so if my story may seem similar to theirs, I don't mean it. ☺ Enjoy! xx

 P.S. The girl at the side is Gabbie Moore. You'll meet her later on in the story. ;-)

-Alyssa

-------------------------------------------------------

Carla's POV:

It was a cold November afternoon in Tempe, Arizona. My best friend Jia and I were getting ready for a concert of The Maine! It's not surprising, since I grew up with two of the members: John O'Callaghan and Garrett Nickelsen. I remember when we were young, John used to chase me all around the house with a toy lightsaber; and Garrett would always push me into the pool and tug on my hair. I haven't seen either of them in a long time. I'm so excited to finally see them! To be honest, I've always found Garrett to be so cute and tiny. His hair is to die for!

Jia, on the other hand, kept on asking me what clothes she should wear for tonight. "Come on, Carla! Do you want to be early or not?" she asked. "Of course I do," I replied. "Just wear the navy blue shirt and the white shorts. Quick! Go!" She hesitated for a moment then exclaimed, "YES! I'll be out in a sec." Oh god, when girls say a second, they mean a million years.

True enough, she came out after a long time. She twirled around slowly and asked, "What do you think?" To be nice, I just said, "It's perfect! Now let's go." So we got into Jia's car, with me not knowing what to expect later tonight."

Jia's POV:

Dang, why did I agree to go with Carla to The Maine concert tonight? Guess I just can't say not to my best friend. I have to say, though. She was quite jittery; and she was spacing out a lot today. "CARLA!! Wake up," I screamed. "What should I wear?" She jumped and mumbled a small "uuh?" God, this is the nth time she's spaced out today. "Come on, Carla! Do you want to be early or not?" I pleaded. She said that she did, and told me to put on the navy shirt and the white shorts. I thought for a moment, and decided it was a great choice.

As I was dressing up, I thought about the one person that makes me go absolutely wild: The lead singer of The Maine; John O'Callaghan. Damn, that boy is fine. I've always wanted to meet him, and now I'm going to tonight! Thank God for giving me a best friend who had grown up with him. I heard Carla knock on the door and shout, "Can you freaking hurry up? The soundcheck's in 30 minutes, and the venue is 45 minutes away WITHOUT traffic!" I said in reply, "Okay, I'm almost done! Gosh, don't be so uptight today; it's your favorite band you're gonna see tonight for goodness' sake!" And I heard no reply. Well, that certainly shut her up. I came out of the bathroom slowly and twirled around. "What do you think? Will John like it?" I asked. Carla rolled her eyes and said, "It's perfect! Now let's go." Gosh, major rush much? Well, you can't blame her. Yours truly thinks she has a crush on the bassist, Garrett. Anyways, we positioned ourselves into my car and took off.

This night is going to be quite interesting.

Garrett's POV:

I am so stoked for tonight's concert. Well, I am excited for all concerts, but this one's different, because I just got a text message from my childhood friend, Carla Johannsen: "See you at your concert tonight, Garrett! :) Can't wait. xx -Carla" Wow. I haven't seen her in.. 15 years. I can't wait to see her. As a kid, I would always tug on her hair, call her "fatty" and "snot-face", and push her into the pool; but I've had a bit of a crush on her because of her gray-blue eyes and her jet black-blue hair that forever falls into her face.

I was running to my best friend, John. He had grown up with Carla and I. "John!" I called out, as I was panting. I have really short legs. "Guess what? Carla's coming to tonight's show!" He looked up at me and stood up, making him a foot taller than me in an instant. John replied, "Oh, cool. Does she have any hot friends?" He licked his lips like a hungry hyena. I groaned in exasperation. "Uh, I dunno. You're such a pervert, John," I said while he stuck out his tongue at me as I flipped him off. "You're missing the point, John! I may not have told you this before, but I've always had a crush on Carla since we were young. What should I do?" He shrugs, a smirk playing at the corners of his lips, "I'm proud of what I am, man. Aww, wooks wike someone has a cwush on wittle Carwuh!" John says in a puppy dog voice. I plead, "SERIOUSLY, MAN! What should I do?"

John thinks for a moment, frowning in deep concentration. I think I know what he's going to say now. "You're so cute when you're desperate," He says while chuckling. I groan. "Oh, fine. I dunno, man. Ask her out. It's about time you did," John replies. I back away in shock of his answer, bumping someone in the process.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," I say as I turn around... To see Carla and her friend. "Damn." John wolf-whistles.

John's POV:

S**t. One minute, I'm giving Garrett advice (he's so cute when he's desperate), next thing you know, he bumps into two hot girls. One of them looks vaguely familiar. "GARRETT NICKELSEN? Is that you?" Holy crap, now I know. It's Carla Johannsen. Garrett stammers, "C-carla? Is that really y-you?" His eyes were as big as golf balls. Carla blushed, as she and Garrett stared at each other. Her friend introduced herself to me. "So, hi! I'm Jia Perez. And I suppose you're.... John, right?" She is so beautiful. Her soft light brown waves and her ocean blue eyes matched perfectly together. "Uh... yeah. So I'm guessing you're Carla's 'bff' right? You guys kinda look alike," I said in reply. She blushed. Jia is so adorable. "Well... Thank you. I'll take that as a compliment; because almost everyone says Carla's pretty," She said as she winked. I laughed at that remark. But then I realized that Carla and Garrett were still staring at each other.

I haven't seen him smile so much since.....

Jia must be thinking the same thing about Carla, because she said, "I haven't seen Carla that happy ever since.... Ever since she broke up with Drake."

"What did he do?" Sorry, I'm really curious. She turned to me as she smiled weakly. "He..... I'd rather not talk about it."

I decided to change the subject. "Wanna scare them?" I said, wiggling my eyebrows.

Jia brightened up at once, and she nodded and smirked.

"GARRETT!" "CARLA!" Jia and I shouted at the same time. We collapsed into fits of giggles as they jumped apart. I said to Jia as I faced her, "You know, we should hang out tomorrow. With Garrett and Carla, I mean." She smiled. "Sure, that's gonna be fun." she said. "Cool," I replied with a sigh of relief. "Wanna exchange numbers?" I asked. Jia said in reply, "Sure, I'll be glad to keep in touch with you even after tomorrow." She smiled weakly. Huh? I'm so confused. "Wait, what? Don't you live here in Arizona?" I asked as a tone of urgency crept into my voice. Jia's smile faded as she said, "No, John. I'm leaving for Miami next month."

I softly sang to myself, "You leave in December, what can I do to make you stay?"

I'm dying inside.